• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Howling from under jeep. TC experts?

lilredwagn

NAXJA Forum User
The howling is me, dropping the driveshaft flange first on my forehead, but chicks dig scars, and being open-minded about it, I suppose I'm fortunate it didn't take my eye out.

Anyway, I have a howling from the jeep, comes on about 20mph, strongest at 35mph, and by 65 it's stopped making noise and just vibrates. It increases with wheelspeed, but doesn't change pitch. I timed it, and the frequency seems to be close to, if not the same as, axle rotation.

Last fall I removed my front DS because of an incident that involved me running the NP231 dry for probably 1-2k miles. (The rear seal tore, and the spinning DS was flinging all the fluid out. Quick fix was pull front DS) I rebuilt the DS, but I never put it back in, as I wasn't happy with the feel of the joints. I intended to take it to a driveline shop at some point, but got involved in other things, so it has just sat around for awhile.

For S&G, I replaced all 3 u-joints in the rear RE driveshaft.

D30 front, 8.25 rear, and TC still have a full fill of clean Mobil1 from last fall.

I had someone drive it while I crawled around the interior listening for where it was coming from. I believed it to be coming from the passenger side. First I thought the right rear, but when I put my ear to the fenderwell, I decided that wasn't it. I tried the passenger footwell, and although it wasn't obvious it was the source, it seemed to be the best bet, so i replaced the FR hub assembly - which achieved nothing but emptying my wallet of $120.

There is no obvious play (other than gear play) in the yoke at either differential, or at either end of the TC.

I put the jeep up on jackstands, and with the rear in the air, the howling noise does not reproduce.

I did, however, notice a ticking noise from the TC, that seems to be coming from the input/planetary region (not the chain).

I discoed the rear DS, hooked up the front DS, put it into 4wd, gave it some gas and got all sorts of ugly vibrations and noises. I didn't get under it to find the source because it sounded and felt bad enough that I didn't feel comfortable under a couple jackstands.

At this point, I can change out the rear axle bearings just to see what happens.

That would leave the carrier bearings, which I don't want to touch, because I need to drive this jeep to NY on Thursday, so I have no spare time for learning as I go. If it is the carrier bearings, my only practical option would be to find a shop or drive it as is.

The other possibility is the TC. Since it was run dry, and seems to have something up with the front end (maybe I fawked the oil pump on the last install?), that's the first place I would suspect a problem. Additionally, it would explain being unable to locate the noise.

However, I can't figure why the howling would "pulse" at about wheelspeed if it was the TC. Does anyone know of a plausible explanation that would explain that? Because at this point, I'd really like the TC to be the problem, but I don't have the time to do the TC *and* the diffs.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Back