• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering problems -searched

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,
this is a 96 4.0 231 172k. I recently changed my serpentine belt, plugs & wires and put a new battery in. My steering is acting weird and I'm thinking it's something expensive. When I start to go into a turn the steering tightens up noticeably, nothing like manual steering, but there's definitely something going on. It seems as though there are a couple "spots" through the travel where it sticks. This *seems* to have only started since I changed the plugs & wires and since the area has been having temperatures in the teens.

Also, sometimes when I'm holding the wheel to the left to compensate for a curved stretch of road, I'll feel a slight little "slip" (best way I can describe it). It's only for a second, and this was happening before the "tight" problem showed up.

I don't know anything about the jeep's history (just got it last summer), and I'm a real novice when it comes to hardcore or heavy duty work on vehicles. Most I've done is change rotors, alternators, change axle oil...things like that.

So I'm hoping it's nothing too expensive if it's a big thing because I'm guessing I won't be able to fix it myself. I searched, but couldn't find anything that really spelled out what the problem might be (guess there's a bunch of components that "could" be the problem when it comes to steering).

My PS pump is full, seems fine (though makes a whining noise when cranked FULL left or FULL right), and I lubed up the u joints on the shaft that comes through the firewall from the steering column. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Is it possible your belt is slipping some? New belts stretch and most times it is recommended to retighten after a while. I'd get a cricket and test it for tightness.

8Mud said:
Is it possible your belt is slipping some? New belts stretch and most times it is recommended to retighten after a while. I'd get a cricket and test it for tightness.

well, that would be the best scenario! right after installing it, I took it for a drive then tightened it again.

I did the old "90 degree twist" test between the ac condenser and alternator. I may have errored to the loose side though because I have read stuff about ruining bearings by having the belt too tight. Maybe I'll check the local napa dealer for the tool. Is that the only place they sell it?

I think I read it's supposed to be between 180 and 200 lbs tension.

I find the longest run and push with my thumb, about 3/4 inches of play. I've been doing it so long, I can do it by feel.
Over tightening can be catastrophic, the best solution is to get a cricket tester and use that.

Just found the info on tool and tension info:

180-200 new
140-160 used (has been run for 15 min or more)

and info on the tool from NAPA (found in a post from "martin" from 11-03):

Here the info off the box
Front Label

NAPA KRIKIT II V-BELT TENSION GAUGE
KR2 bar code 0 29769 35216 8

end label

KR2
7401-0102
1 EACH

I just wanted to post this info in case anyone else needs easy access to it from this thread. I'm going to look into getting the krikit from the local napa dealer, but in the back of my mind I'm afraid my problems go beyond belt slippage :(

Just an FYI for anyone looking for the krikit gauge:

The NAPA part number is KR2 and the price is now $15.xx

I called, and told them what I was looking for and they acted like I was speaking a different language! I gave them all of the above numbers from the old post and they finally found it by typing just the "KR2" into the system. They had to order it so I won't get it until Thursday.

OLAK said:
you need to replace your intermediate steering shaft. The u joints are frozen

Thanks for the reply! Is this something that the average guy could do or is it more of a "hardcore" type thing? I'm going to do some searching with the info you provided. Thanks again.

I did it so that means you can do it :eeks1: There are aftermarket parts available a lot cheaper than the dealer. I think I undid the steering box to make the removal or install easier.
I was completely stumped by the exact same symptoms as you. I even replaced the power steering pump :smsoap: hopefully yours goes smoothly

OLAK said:
I did it so that means you can do it :eeks1: There are aftermarket parts available a lot cheaper than the dealer. I think I undid the steering box to make the removal or install easier.
I was completely stumped by the exact same symptoms as you. I even replaced the power steering pump :smsoap: hopefully yours goes smoothly

Ok, I've been looking at some info......is there anyway to make sure that that is the problem? I've been reading about you're supposed to try to move it and if it moves more than about 1/16", then it's worn...you said the u joints were frozen, so does this mean if I tried to move it, it wouldn't have any give? I'd check it out but it's only like 16 degrees out! I'll check it tomorrow though after work.

Since this is a 96, what years should I look for when looking for a replacement? A guy on ebay has a few, but he says they're for 84-94. Does anyone know what years will fit a 96? (besides the obvious of course :)) It would be great if there were a guide somewhere for this procedure. I'll keep looking, maybe there's one out there!

Try jacking the front end, and with the engine off you will get the same symptoms turning the wheel, which will show its not a problem with the power assist
you can disconnect the intermediate shaft from the steering box, then test the u joints. The symptoms of stiff, then easy, then stiff as you rotate the wheel is almost certainly a steering shaft U joint.

OLAK said:
Try jacking the front end, and with the engine off you will get the same symptoms turning the wheel, which will show its not a problem with the power assist
you can disconnect the intermediate shaft from the steering box, then test the u joints. The symptoms of stiff, then easy, then stiff as you rotate the wheel is almost certainly a steering shaft U joint.

Thanks! I'll have to take it to my dad's and give that a shot.

Speed_racer said:
have you tried just flushing the PS pump?

Start simple.

Work your way up the $$ tree after that.

Nope, didn't try that yet... Fluid looks great though and is at the right level, so I guess that's why I didn't think too much about flushing it. I guess once I get my belt tension gauge tomorrow I'll start there, then proceed up the tree as you put it :)

Just in case though, I'm trying figure out which year steering shaft I'll need. Thanks for the reply, maybe I'll go ahead and try flushing the pump if the belt tension checks out.

OLAK said:
doesn't cost a thing to jack the front and test the linkage without assist that is the first thing to do.

Yeah, I'm gonna do that after work today. I'll post back what I find out...............prob won't be until about 6 or so EST. Thanks again for all the help guys :)

Back