• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anti lock brakes?

finley347

NAXJA Forum User
how do i tell if my 1999 jeep cherokee has anti lock brakes. other than the normal slam on them. when i do that there is no pulsating from the brakes just skidding. when i turn the key to where the instrument panel warnings come on the anti lock symbol does not light up. confusing to me.

Last edited:
you could check in the box of relays and fuses under you hood. There is a little diagram on the cover of the box. If you don't have a relay in the spot marked ABS than you probably don't have ABS.

finley347 said:
how do i tell if my 1999 jeep cherokee has anti lock brakes. other than the normal slam on them. when i do that there is no pulsating from the brakes just skidding. when i turn the key to where the instrument panel warnings come on the anti lock symbol does not light up. confusing to me.

If the ABS light isn't lighting up, you likely don't have ABS. Other things to check:

Pop the hood and look at the brake booster. If, instead of a 'normal' master cylinder protruding from the front of it, you have what looks like a giant block of cut aluminimum with four brake lines running out of it, you've got ABS.

While the hood's up, remove the cover on the PDC; there should be a fuse and relay diagram on the back of it. Check the locations listed as having anything to do with ABS. No fuses or relays, no ABS. Of course, someone could simply have removed them to disable an existing ABS system if it were having issues - which on later XJs is usually OK to do, since the system will just default back to non-ABSed operation.

Finally, check the space between the end of the axle tubes and the brakes (this is easiest on the rear axle). If you have what looks like an exposed gear between the two, this will be the ABS tone ring; checking around the tone ring should let you also find the sensors that read the tone rings' rotations. While it's possible that someone may have swapped an ABSed axle or shafts into a non-ABSed XJ, it's pretty unlikely.

And finally, if you have ABS, you will NOT have the Chrysler 8.25" rear axle - it'll be a Dana 35. However, there were non-ABS Dana 35s used as well, so don't take this as the ultimate indicator. Look for the ABS hardware attached to the booster first.

Last edited:
Back