• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Complete stereo re-wire write up?

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone ever completely redo their stereo set up re-routing or just re-wiring? Still can't figure out why my stereo is making this hideous crackling buzz sound... so I thought if it wasn't too hard to just do my own wiring but wasn't sure how difficult it was... The only wires I need going to the aftermarket head unit are the necessary ones... the speakers are going through the amp...anyone know have or know where to get a write up for a Cherokee? I searched but nothing came up for full stereo re-wire write up... just minor re-wiring... thanks :yelclap:

Are you sure it's being grounded all the way?

I know when I wired my amp in I had a lot of engine noise, and realized that the ground wire had slipped off the bolt I attached it to.

Bdiddy11 said:
Anyone ever completely redo their stereo set up re-routing or just re-wiring? Still can't figure out why my stereo is making this hideous crackling buzz sound... so I thought if it wasn't too hard to just do my own wiring but wasn't sure how difficult it was... The only wires I need going to the aftermarket head unit are the necessary ones... the speakers are going through the amp...anyone know have or know where to get a write up for a Cherokee? I searched but nothing came up for full stereo re-wire write up... just minor re-wiring... thanks :yelclap:

Is it the stock infinity amp or what? Give some more details here.:smoker:

I would check your grounds first. Then I would try a different amp because something may have came loose inside or it is taking a crap on you. Next I would try a different head unit. Try the easy stuff first!

It's a Pyramid amp...Pioneer head unit. I have a 87 Chief... I checked all the wires and they were plugged in... I've checked the ground on the amp a few times it's fine... where else is the stereo grounded?

The problem all started when I was rolling down my window to talk to a friend (manual windows) the front door speakers are hooked into the amp... and when I was doing that the window made a clunking sound and the stereo started making this hideous buzzing crackling sound so I turned the stereo off and it went away... ever since, there has been that nasty noise when I have the amp hooked up and the car on. I have another post in the Street + Performance about this too... where are all the possible places that the stock wires are grounded so I can check? It's just weird it started with the window going down... i've even unhooked the front speakers and used the ones in the tailgate but they make the same noise...:bawl: sucks being without tunes.

i say start from where ur problem started. u said the problem when u rolled ur window down. now u also said that u have a new amp runnin ur speakers so im assuming all new wires were run to the speakers. so i say take the door panel off and check the wires for the speaker. my guess is ur wires for ur speaker in the door got chewed up some how by the window crank mechanism. this has probably exposed the two wires causing them to either touch or be grounded causing an over load on the amp and now ur gettin that noise. if this is ur problem then just fix the wire and tie them up out of the way so it doesnt happen again and ur done. simple, easy, and u dont have to re-wire the head unit.

Ok... pretty sure it's the amp. The window mechanism must have somehow jacked it up rolling it down and hitting the speaker/wires... Turn on the radio and the tweeters omit the sound cleanly(note:tweeter is hooked to the HU,not the amp) so I take the tweeter wire and connect it to the amp and get the whiny screetching noise. So that's where my problem lays, somehow the amp crapped out from the window causing interferance. The fuses are fine. Anybody know how to diagnose an amp? Or what it might cost to have it repaired? My fiance's bro-in law is getting me an amp he no longer uses but it's only 300w. I would like to have my other amp working...cuz it's a lot more wattage and could use it for my system...any ideas?

most likely it will cost more to repair the amp than to replace it. depending on where u bought it from u could have bought the extended store warranty and all u would have to do it take it back and they will give u another one or something very comparable. i did that with an MTX mono amp and it has gone bad 4 times and each time i take it back and they give me a new one haha

No warranty... no clue how old it is... got it from my brother for free with 2 12" subs...wasn't a bad deal for being free and it's served it's purpose. I just need to fix my window so it doesn't clunk and cause problems. Looking at alternate routes for my stereo now... i'll have a 300w amp soon but that wont suffice...need to power my speakers and the subs. Might drop down to 1 sub instead of 2. It's nice having music because otherwise I hear all the rattles and shakes my baby makes...:listenmus

I'm going to revive an old topic... if I were to run a second battery in the back for backup/auxiliary crap and wanted to wire the stereo to that instead of it going through the firewall etc... how hard would that be? Anyone know what's involved to run the stereo from the back battery?

Bdiddy11 said:
I'm going to revive an old topic... if I were to run a second battery in the back for backup/auxiliary crap and wanted to wire the stereo to that instead of it going through the firewall etc... how hard would that be? Anyone know what's involved to run the stereo from the back battery?
You don't need to do that, I've installed JL Stealth boxes with 10” subs, SoundStream old school 5 channel amps, Eclipse component speakers, in my 97 and my 01. My amp is under the back seat and all the speakers (not the sub) are wired with 14 Gauge wire to the crossovers. The most important thing is to keep the power and the inputs to the amp separate. I run the 8 gauge power down the passenger side and the RCA’s down the driver side, and the front speaker wire along the transmission hump. When setting it up you want to turn the input gain on the amp all the way down, turn the head unit up ¾ way, then turn the amp input gain to your normal listening level. This way you will get a minimum noise level. That is also why some amps have speaker level inputs.

That's how i've got it set up right now. I'm just curious how hard it would be to move the HU out and put it in the center console. I wanted to know what wiring is involved behind where the HU is now that goes through the dash into the firewall then to the engine bay etc...

ok to answer one question the second battery would be used to power your amp and subs. not the deck. the stock battery can take the load of an aftermarket deck. no prob.

As for rewiring, its really easy. If you know how to strip and cut wires, ur set. here is a link, all you have to do is put in your car info and it will give you every color wire and what they are used for, then just match them up with your new deck and, boom your done..

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/vehicles.html

Back