• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

loose Steering?

Sport cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I know My 99 XJ isn't a sports car but when I'm on the freeway I have to turn the wheel a hell of alot when steering winding roads to get a response which feels a little dangerous.
almost like the steeering has a mind of it's own.

And to add to that I was on the freeway70mph and I ran over a pot hole that darn near sent me into the next lane but lukily I kept the wheel straight.

Any suggestions?

You might also check to make sure your steering box is still firmly attached to your unibody. sometimes when the steering box is loose (either from backed out bolts or from unibody damage) you'll get weird steering problems like a lot of free play in the wheel when trying to steer. Tighten it back up and the problems go away (only if that is in fact the problem).

there's also a backlash adjustment for the steering box itself.
you really need to have someone work the steering wheel while you look at the front end and see where the play is.

Back