• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

desert xj's

jeepspeed

Mine isn't set up that way yet... but I'm thinking that might be where I decide to lean with my Jeep

I'm building my son's XJ up along the route of a prerunner.
To this point there is no difference between a runner and a crawler.
I'm keeping his as low as possible, same as mine. His doesn't need as much armour as mine. I could truss below the axels on his. I'm not relocating his rear shock mounts, but I probably should. Shock overheating is an issue with his, not as much mine. He can use a cage and better harnasses.
But having said that...when his is done, we will 'test' them together at speed. I'll blow him away!

Rick

Jeepspeed
DSCN1184.jpg

pre-runners(actually our chase rigs, not as nice as a pick up truck for stowing gear but can fit quite a bit with some creative packing:
IMG_0066.jpg

Jump This said:
Few of us have any paint worth a damn.

Rick
aint that the truth!:shocked:

allupinsydeyou said:
here is mine... in the works....

100_2636.jpg

Hey, I saw you in the Mira Mesa area. You were cutting through the parking lot where Wings and Things is. I was eating dinner when I saw your rig.

Very cool. What part of San Diego do you live in?

Had fun in the Jeep, though not purposely built for desert only. Was built for an all around vehicle and did extremely well out there. Even pulled out a 23' loaded toy hauler up hill when the big Chevy's couldn't. Nice to be locked and light.

IMGP0845.jpg

ok so we've seen some pics, now some of you more progressed people need to lay out some knowledge....
shocks?
reinforcements/beefing up/stiffening?
cages?

lay it on us, im looking to take my 90 xj's there

Mine is running a combo:
Skyjacker front coils with a 1" Spacer, Rancho pro series shocks
Rear is Rough Country 4" leafs with Rancho RS 9000.
Lower and Upper control arms by RE.
Reinforcements coming this month:
T and J stiffener kit, with a C Rok steering plate and the front chasis plates by TMR!

Overall, I can not be more pleased with how well i can do in the desert for what I have done....next, after reinforceing the chasis will come a cage......"with age comes the cage" and then stepping up to better shocks.

Back