• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need a headpipe

cjovertj

NAXJA Forum User
so went snow wheelin the other day, notice check engine light was on so i was checking the O2 sensor, and notice the exhaust was sitting on the tranny crossmember. the mount that was welded to the head pipe broke off.

i could have it welded back on or see if an exhaust shop has a clamp on mount that would work but seeing as i have replaced the header(banks) and cat and catback(dynomax) i figured i should replace the headpipe which is the only stock part of the exhaust.

the cherokee is a 97 and i could not find a replacement for that year in my quadratec catalog. i heard that the stock headpipe is pretty restrictive due to the crush in it for pinion clearance and that alot of people replace it with a non crushed 2.5" piece. is there anyplace that makes one of these that i can buy and put on at my own leisure without having to put it in a shop for a couple day(its a daily driver) and having to pay for labor.

if there is not a place that sells this where can i get a stock replacement or am i SOL

I went through the same thing with my '98. I was quoted approx. $300 for the factory replacement, then found one at Napa auto parts for about $60. I believe that it is a 2" or maybe 2-1/4" dia. Material is much thinner gauge but I figure that it will work until I can find an appropiate replacement.

Good luck, Ken

Back