• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Slight Driveline Carnage - 56K Run Away!

Kittrell

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
So I recently installed a Tera Flex Disc Brake kit onto my 44 rear. And ran into some less then desirable issues last night. I did not have my ebrake cables hooked up yet, so there wasn't very much tension on the shoes. Not a major concern. Well a couple of days ago I hit a decent sized bump, and I immediately heard a slight running on my back right side. My first thought was that the ebrake shoes slightly shifted, and it was just nicking the rotor. So I figured, no big deal, I'll take a look at it this weekend. I don't drive much, and it sounded like it was just kissing the inside of the rotor so I wasn't too concerned. I got a little busy this weekend, and didn't get to it. But I was off today, so I was just going to take care of it then. Had no plans for the day.

Well on my way home last night I hit the same damn bump. Except this time there was a very loud pop. And now it sounded like the ebrake shoe was hugging the inside of the rotor as much as it possibly could. Well it's late, and I'm not to far from home. So I decided to just limp it home. Get it home and in the garage and can just smell the shoes cookin'. So I'm less than happy about this. Even with no direct tension on the shoes, they should not be able to shift so much as to cause this. So I go to sleep, and get out there today to tear it apart.

Here is the driver's side, everything looks good from the outside, and this is what a loaded backing plate looks like.

P1290011.jpg

When I took apart the passenger side, this is all that I found.

P1290001.jpg

P1290014.jpg

Here you can see the backing plate damage. Pretty much showing how all of the internals escaped once they broke loose.

P1290002.jpg

Here is the spacer ring, and retainer plate on the passenger side.

P1290006.jpg

No real damage to the seal or bearing, just deformed the seal a little.

P1290010.jpg

Took apart the driver's side to inspect it too. No contact at all on the pads and everything looked good until I pulled the shaft. Spacer ring and Retainer Plate look the same.

P1290013.jpg

I am guessing the driver's side was next in line to get what happened to the other end. My first guess is that the spacer rings failed. I want to say they are aluminum, but they could just be a very mild steel. Everything on the passenger side was still tight, as tight as it could be considering what happened. The shaft was still snug in the housing. And judging by the deformation of the backing plate. It looks like as the spacer ring deformed it just slowly pushed the plate out. Same thing on the driver's side, everything was nice and snug, no loose parts. But the ring was very deformed, and the retainer plate as well. I am going to get on the phone to Tera in the morning to see what we can do. The kit wasn't cheap, and I expected a lot more out of it.

Thoughts, comments?

damn dude glad you didnt have a more catastrophic problem, ill look for the pics but a friend with a YJ had a simular problem and it caused him to have a accident on the freeway luckily no one was hurt but he did end up totaling his Jeep

looks like the spacer wasn't sitting concentric with the bore, or the backing plate wasn't concentric, which deformed the spacer and the retainer plate when it was torqued down. I can't see how this would screw up the brakes, unless the shaft had some end play due to the above.

The spacer was sitting in how it should have. It fit the end of the tube perfectly, there is no wrong way to put it in. And if the spacer deformed pushing the backing plate out, which in turn pushed the shoes into the rotor. Then I could very much see how that could mess up the "brakes." Besides, the actual disc brakes where fine. Caliper Brackets, Calipers, and Rotors were all still where they needed to be. Pretty much because they won the battle against the weaker ebrake components.

sharpie1k said:
could it be the plate retainer bolts untorqued, giving the axle some play, which in turn shoved the plate into the rotor?

Doubtful. I pushed and pulled on both sides before I took them apart. No side to side movement in the shafts. And I had to use considerable force to break the retaining nuts loose.

Update. Called Tera today, got the "Really? I have never heard about that happening before, ever." I told him all of the details. He said that the ring warping, though he has never heard of it happening, has nothing to do with workmanship. It has to do with the installation, and the application. And he asked me who installed it. I told him that I did, and I knew where he was going with this. And that the ring is a perfect fit and that there is no wrong way to install it. And to quote what my buddy said "It's about as easy to mess up as threading a bolt into a nut." So I sent the pics off to him. He said that he got them and would forward them to R&D. And that they could hopefully troubleshoot it from there, and see what happened.

Basically they are in no hurry to help me out here, even though this is my only vehicle. And could care less if I got back on the road, unless it's on my dime. I will be picking up some rubi retainer plates at the dealer in the morning. Will redrill those to the XJ pattern, and scrap all of the ebrake hardware, just so I can get back on the road. Time will tell if Tera will come through and send me out replacement parts for the things that were destroyed.

They called back and said flat out that I installed it wrong. I went over it again. The ring fits perfectly into the caliper mount, you can't install it wrong. It's just not possible. I told the guy this isn't my first rodeo. I've personally installed just about every part on my Jeep, and that this my third XJ, second one that I have built. He said that based on the evidence they have, that thats what happened. It's not a warranty issue and they won't send out replacement parts. But he will be more them happy to sell them to me for $151.90. I told him that I'd be buying a whole new disc brake kit from one of their competitors before I would pay to replace parts that failed, and to have a nice day.

So I'll be going the Rubi method for now just so I can drive it. And will possibly be removing all of it in favor of a TSM kit in the future. I originally went Tera because I wanted the internal ebrake. But It definitely wasn't worth all this. I'll settle for no ebrake and the proven TSM kit.

Your problem is the little tension spring at the bottom of the shoes failed causing the shoe th jam into the top post of the shoes which caused the backing plates to deform so yes it is a part failure. if what your saiying is true it only fits one way if you look at the backing plate you can see that the bolt holes are oblonged that was cause by the torque abled by the rotor axle assembly.just my two scents hope they get theirs:gonnablow

I have the Terra kit installed. Put it in about four years ago. Never have installed my e-brake cables and haven't had any problems.
Though I did use the Jeep Rubicon retainer with the built in lip instead of the supplied spacer, I don't know how someone could install the rings wrong.

Terra needs to step up.

You have to be able to trust your brakes...

Bones :skull1:

91 Jeep Project said:
he could maybe help me out on shipping, gee, thanks.

well what are you complaining about man

:rof:

i hate it when manufacturers dont have the balls to stand behind their product. it is always the installers fault, thats awful man im sorry.

-Tim

Who else makes a good rear disc conversion kit? I know some people do a ZJ rear disc conversion but not sure what it would cost to buy those parts for a ZJ new instead of using junk yard parts.

91 Jeep Project said:

i like the look of that kit. nice and simple.

two questions about it tho.
-what do you do for brake lines? i dont think the stock ones will bend like that..
-how does a caliper parking brake work? i might just go for the non-parking brake and save money (mine has never worked)

-Tim

Back