• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Third Row Seat?

jwtrapper

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and searched and can't find anything. I have seen it somewhere, where a rear wrangler seat was installed in the back for some extra kid space. We have 3 and all are in car seats or booster seats. That makes for a tight squeeze in the back seat. Any one else done this? I have a TJ seat that I am planning on using but just wanted some ideas before I start to tear into it.

The old volvo wagons had third row rear facing seats that you could flip around. Edit: never mind didn't read that you had a TJ seat. I'm shure you could fab something up to make your seat work.

Last edited:
Could you pm me the demensions on the TJ seat? Mounting bracket height, back height, seat length and if you have time the angle of the back rest. Itll help me aid myself and you in mounting it easily. Best option right now seems like welding a few patches of 1\4" steel to the underbody and a few nuts then it can be removable and still have restraints.

The whole idea of a third row in an XJ is a bad idea. There is not enough room to safely install a seat, rear facing or otherwise, in the back. Ever wonder why auto manufacturers do not (CANNOT) sell wagons with these seats anymore? There has to be a "buffer" between bumpers and occupants.

Do yourselves a favor and go to the wrecking yard. Find wagons with rear impacts severe enough to total the vehicle and picture your kids in that cargo area.

stepping off of soapbox

scottmcneal said:
are you using this for off road only? i think it would work great, i have three grankkids that have to use car seats...

I guess if you're trailering to the trailhead its not so bad. I've just seen too much of the consequences of MVCs to be comfortable with the on-road application.

Jeep on

I know IH8RDS di this for his so that he can carry his whole family wheeling...

He normally trailers to the trail head and loads everyone from there...

On a side note it kinda looks like a clown car when he unloads for lunch!!! :mrgreen:

He has pics on here somewhere!!!

Back