• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget lift Issues

MrShaft696

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 xj with a homebrew lift consisting of zj coils, .75" spacers, and s10 leaves in the rear.
I want to lift up the front more to compensate and get some more balance since the rear is higher and stiffer, i need the height in the rear (i think becasue) i am going to be running 31" truxus m/ts in a week. So the rear is around 3.5 inches of lift and the front I think is around 2 -2.5inches.
So my thought is to take out the .75" spacer and run a 2" spacer putting the front in the neighborhood of 3.5". At this height other than shocks, will i have to replace any other parts like the trac bar or lca's? I am kind a fuzzy on those parts and when they are mandatory. If i have to replace too much i may just lower the rear and hack up the fenders some more. thoughts?

My Jeep
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=904814

i'm running zj coils with 2" spacers up front with blazer leaf packs in the rear...i've got 32" BFG MT's. I trimmed my fenders a bit and unmounted the front brake lines...i have little rubbing issues in the front when offroad but nothing i can't handle. Pretty straight forward, no need to replace the track bar although i think it would be beneficial because you can adjust for the changes made after the lift. T-case drop may be something you want to look into, because that will be out of line afterwards too. I'd like to replace lca's with adjustables although it isn't required. I hope this helps.

-Brandon

here's a picture of my XJ

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=905559

I have a homemade 3” lift too and from what I’ve read and looking at my own truck I don’t think it is necessary to replace the tracing bar as long as you stay under 3.5. I did have to do a slight adjustment to my draglink to center the steering wheel. I’m not suer it was necessary with just 3” but I relocated the brake line (you could replace them with longer ones). I did notice that the stock LCA is limiting the drop on my front axle now though. Lift the front and watch the lca to see if they hit the mounting bracket. You should get a idea of how much suspension drop you will have with the extra lift your planning Then decide if you want to run it with the stock lca or not. I’m not suer what most people say is the max lift for stock LCAs, but you should be fine until you go higher. Hope my rambling helps. Johnny O.

BGXJ said:
i'm running zj coils with 2" spacers up front with blazer leaf packs in the rear...i've got 32" BFG MT's. I trimmed my fenders a bit and unmounted the front brake lines...i have little rubbing issues in the front when offroad but nothing i can't handle. Pretty straight forward, no need to replace the track bar although i think it would be beneficial because you can adjust for the changes made after the lift. T-case drop may be something you want to look into, because that will be out of line afterwards too. I'd like to replace lca's with adjustables although it isn't required. I hope this helps.

-Brandon

here's a picture of my XJ

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=905559

Thanks yeah almost the same setup, and i have a PORC sye so no issues with a tc drop. I am building to eventually go big but im gonna wheel on 31 m/ts for a while and throw things on as i can afford them but i really want the extra 1.25" now. Does look like your driver side tire sticks out a bit, but maybe thats the weel offset.

I suppose you could just carefully drill an extra hole in the stock track-bar to compensate for a 3"-4" lift. Lots of folks have done it.

I have about 3.5" upfront (Rusty's HD 3" coils for a winch bumper, but I've got the stock bumper) and I run 32s and I have a stock tracbar. I'm on my second one...they wear out and I just replace the whole freakin assembly...cause I got a good one for free when I was still poor and in college!

I would recommend unbolting the front brake hoses from the "frame." You can just leave them hanging, or relocate them a little lower. Definitely want to get a longer rear brake hose. One from a YJ does the trick. If you combine that with a rear brake hose relocation bracket, you'll be in great shape.

Also, at the very least you'll want new rear shocks for a 3" lift. When I lifted my current XJ a little over 2 years ago on a tight college budget, I didn't do shocks. It took my father and my brother sitting in the back of the jeep for me to even be able to get the driver side rear shock on the stud!! It rode kinda funny, was good when you hit a bump, but then the rear axle ubrubtly stopped halfway through the suspension cycle, when the rear shocks jolted it to a halt, not allowing it to go down (away from the body). I'd recommend a set of DT3000s, they're a great bang for the buck. The front shocks weren't quite as bad, they still had an inch or two maybe of downtravel. If you're on a real tight budget you could maybe just do the rears first. Also, using BPEs will increase the effective length of your shocks...so you may want to throw some of those into the combo. You can use the brackets from the rear swaybar as BPEs!

While taking some parts off of a 93 ford explorer, I noticed the rear shocks have the same mounting setup and are right at 3” longer than stock xj. Looked that up on Auto Zone and Gabriel Guardians are $14.99 ea. Part # 81823.

i love this site (NAXJA) i learn so much here. i found this the other day on here and i learned a lot from there to. if you have someone who welds or are good at making friends there are some more options there for moving shock mounts and a lot of other good stuff.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info

Back