• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Very Urgent Shock Length Question

profonde

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Guys,

I really need you urgent help here. I only have 2 weeks for my next race and it seems that i ve a problem with my front shocks.
I ordered 10" Fox racing shocks with original XJ mounts for the front of my race car. I ve 3.5" of lift by the way. The problem is when we mount them it seems that the compression is only 4" and rebound is 6". So it looks that it will bottom out very easily. Lengthening the shock towers seems very difficult. I also bought the poly coil inserts so i am thinking of bumpstoping it for the last 2" but i am not sure if it is enough

Do you guys have any idea ??

This may seem like a lot of work but it’s what I would do unless someone told me a better way. Take the shock off and measure it compressed unless you already have that info. Pull the spring and reinstall the shock. Slowly drop the front until the shock is compressed to the measurement you took or slightly before it and adjust your bump stops to bottom before the shock dose. I would probably see how much the stop would compress with the weight of the vehicle on it to see how much longer the stop would have to be than the compressed shock measurement. I guess 1” past the measurement of the shock you took would do it.
I’m sorry if that’s not what your looking for. I don’t mean to insult your intelligence or anything.

profonde said:
Hello Guys,

I really need you urgent help here. I only have 2 weeks for my next race and it seems that i ve a problem with my front shocks.
I ordered 10" Fox racing shocks with original XJ mounts for the front of my race car. I ve 3.5" of lift by the way. The problem is when we mount them it seems that the compression is only 4" and rebound is 6". So it looks that it will bottom out very easily. Lengthening the shock towers seems very difficult. I also bought the poly coil inserts so i am thinking of bumpstoping it for the last 2" but i am not sure if it is enough

Do you guys have any idea ??

You're not too far off, most 10" shocks would be hard to fit on 3.5" lift. You can use the poly spring spacers to lift the front a little, which might not be a bad thing. You could also lower the lower shock mount on the axle, which isn't hard to do. Many of us have done that to allow the use of a longer shock. There's quite a bit of room between the stock shock mount and lower control arm mount, so it would be pretty easy to cut off the shock mount and make one that's lower. Keep in mind (if you aren't already aware) that the bump stops will bottom out (stock stops), or nearly bottom out (good poly stops) on a hard hit, so the bumpstops need to be set so there is as much shock shaft showing as the thickness of the bump stops when the stops are hit.

What kind of racing? Off-road...rally?

Back