• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

sqweaking from distributor

TGFH

NAXJA Forum User
A new noise started today - I finally tracked it down to the distributor - I think. The distributor is tight and not loose at all - but the noise stops when I push fairly hard on the side of the cap. Pushing on either side will stop the noise. Also I can start the noise when it has stopped by doing the same thing - pushing on the distributor cap. Ideas? I haven't opened it up yet - so I suppose that's the next step.

I had a similar problem in my '96 XJ, except it was the distributor itself squealing. Replaced it and all is well.

My 96 sounds like it's got a birdie under the cap. Runs great...just squeaks.

TGFH said:
A new noise started today - I finally tracked it down to the distributor - I think. The distributor is tight and not loose at all - but the noise stops when I push fairly hard on the side of the cap. Pushing on either side will stop the noise. Also I can start the noise when it has stopped by doing the same thing - pushing on the distributor cap. Ideas? I haven't opened it up yet - so I suppose that's the next step.

Sounds like the distributor shaft has worn inside its bushing. The only cure is a new distributor.

Dr. Dyno said:
Sounds like the distributor shaft has worn inside its bushing. The only cure is a new distributor.

They are pricey, is there any way to overhaul them. A rebuild kit or something like that?

did some homework and found them priced from $300+ for a new MSD to $55 exchange for a reman. I'm going the reman. route. Oreillys and Advanced Auto are the cheapest.

Mine does this a couple times a year.

I take it apart, douche it out with WD-40, and voila....it goes away. Ive been doing that for 3+ years.

Rick

Back