PDA

View Full Version : sqweaking from distributor

TGFH
July 8th, 2006, 13:47
A new noise started today - I finally tracked it down to the distributor - I think. The distributor is tight and not loose at all - but the noise stops when I push fairly hard on the side of the cap. Pushing on either side will stop the noise. Also I can start the noise when it has stopped by doing the same thing - pushing on the distributor cap. Ideas? I haven't opened it up yet - so I suppose that's the next step.

90Pioneer
July 8th, 2006, 16:25
I had a similar problem in my '96 XJ, except it was the distributor itself squealing. Replaced it and all is well.

riverfever
July 8th, 2006, 16:30
My 96 sounds like it's got a birdie under the cap. Runs great...just squeaks.

TGFH
July 8th, 2006, 17:12
shouldn't be to bad a job 0 I was thinking of doing a major tune up anyway. Thanks

Dr. Dyno
July 9th, 2006, 10:11
A new noise started today - I finally tracked it down to the distributor - I think. The distributor is tight and not loose at all - but the noise stops when I push fairly hard on the side of the cap. Pushing on either side will stop the noise. Also I can start the noise when it has stopped by doing the same thing - pushing on the distributor cap. Ideas? I haven't opened it up yet - so I suppose that's the next step.

Sounds like the distributor shaft has worn inside its bushing. The only cure is a new distributor.

falcon556
July 9th, 2006, 10:41
Sounds like the distributor shaft has worn inside its bushing. The only cure is a new distributor.

They are pricey, is there any way to overhaul them. A rebuild kit or something like that?

Nevada City Sparky
July 10th, 2006, 15:49
Ought to be able to replace the bushing. As I recall, its a simple aluminum sleeve.

Pop it out and see!
<EDIT> Just looked in a prts manual. They show the sleeve, but no part number. Bummer

TGFH
July 11th, 2006, 18:43
did some homework and found them priced from $300+ for a new MSD to $55 exchange for a reman. I'm going the reman. route. Oreillys and Advanced Auto are the cheapest.

AzRick
July 11th, 2006, 19:03
Mine does this a couple times a year.

I take it apart, douche it out with WD-40, and voila....it goes away. Ive been doing that for 3+ years.

Rick