• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 question

andersonsys

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished up my a tranny swap in my XJ, and all of the fluids are filled, now I have a T-case leak, out the front where it bolts to the AX-15. There is a small factory hole where it is leaking. Is this hole there for some reason? I looked at another tranny, and the hole was there also. Why would this thing leak, it looks like it is supposed to releive fluid , but I can't imagine why it would allow the t-case to leak. Would it be because I overfilled it a little? Any help is greatly appreciated.

My only problem is that it seems to be open all the time. And it looks as though it is supposed to be left open. I will get some pics, and maybe the question can be answered.

Also I am wondering if there is some peice on the front shaft of the external slave cylinder, I assumed there would be some plastic peice that goes between the shaft and the fork. I have bled the slave, several times, and it barely pushes the clutch enough to get it into gear. Sometimes it grinds a little when I put it into gear. Like if I hadn't pushed the clutch in enough.

Did you install the proper length input gear.That would cause a leak for sure!A little more info on year swaps would help alot.

Actually....that's how I learned about the weep hole. When I converted my MJ to 4WD, I installed some goofy version of an AX5 that had a recessed input, not flush, and the input gear on the TC was too short to make full contact with the seal. It drove, but leaked like a seive. Lesson learned, the hard way.

That's why I have those pics....:)

Jeff

Jeff in VA said:
Are you sure that it's leaking from the TC (transmission fluid)? and not gear oil from the trans? There's a weep hole drilled in the rear of the tranny flange that's designed to let you know if the rear output seal is bad:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=904881

Jeff

So in my case it would let me know that the front input seal is worn out also. I am guessing that is the problem.

mud4x4lover said:
wow can you please show all of us a pic of your 14 bolt front axle.....lol

here are a couple for ya

S4020971.jpg

S4020970.jpg

S4020969.jpg

mud4x4lover said:
wow can you please show all of us a pic of your 14 bolt front axle.....lol

I am $7000 into it so far, so it wouldn't be practical for the average Jeeper.

JPTHING

wow thats pretty amazing never seen that before! but ha thats cool good for you man. but that much mony why not a pro rock 60?.just a thoght.
any way cool!
andersonsys said:
I am $7000 into it so far, so it wouldn't be practical for the average Jeeper.

JPTHING

mud4x4lover said:
wow thats pretty amazing never seen that before! but ha thats cool good for you man. but that much mony why not a pro rock 60?.just a thoght.
any way cool!

A pro rock 60 doesn't have 1-5/8" Alloy shafts that taper down to 1-9/16" 30 spline to fit the 14 bolt Detroit Locker. An alloy 35 spline D60 is 1-1/2". This really is a much bigger axle, than a D60, but the drawback is the larger housing that sits lower than the D60. There are ways to shave them down, but what really is a couple of inches.

Back