• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question regarding floor coating

BGXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've had wet carpet everytime it rains so today i decided to pull the carpet up. While in the process, i opted not to remove it all and only cut the driver and passenger floorboard areas. There was no rust anywhere else on the floor. I dont wanna dish out the money for a gallon of herculiner, so what other options do you suggest? I thought about removing the rust and just spraying dupli-color bedliner or undercoating on it, then throwing floor mats over them. What do you recommend?

how did it turn out? are you happy with it? I'm not concerned with heat or sound, cuz as of now it sounds no different. I don't want to spend a lot of money on this

yeah i can remember that the undercoating stays sticky.....so i may use the dupli-color spray.....a couple cans is a lot cheaper than a gallon....i've got one more question. On both sides there is a piece of what looks like Dynomat, some kind of sound deadening or heat shield stuff. Looks like it will be a pain to remove, should i try to get rid of it or go over it?

Line it with Durabak. That's what I did after water damaged carpet. I know you just said you didn't wanna dish out $$... but you can do it right... or you can do it again later. :)

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=904757

durabak015.jpg

durabak014.jpg

durabak100.jpg

durabak103.jpg

3M undercoating. Then use the husky brand liner! One thing that I found that works really good after spraying in the 3M undercoating is to spray on flat black automotive quality paint soaks into the undercoating like you wouldn't believe!

The undercoating will stay sticky for a while, and it outgasses for a bit (not unlike bedliner, though). Also, as Zipjeep pointed out, it does stay "soft." That's because it's rubberized. You can take a knife and cut a line in it, and it will "heal," sort of.

Unreal, your project turned out amazing, and while i agree with you, i am on a pretty tight budget so i'm looking for a cheaper alternative as of now. I'd really like to do what you did but I know i can't afford it. I'd really like to just do both sides on the floor and the rear cargo area. there was no rust in the back passenger areas, i wonder how much material would be required to do those areas?

sassyspapa said:
3M undercoating. Then use the husky brand liner! One thing that I found that works really good after spraying in the 3M undercoating is to spray on flat black automotive quality paint soaks into the undercoating like you wouldn't believe!

do you have any pictures?

Back