• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

secondary fan cycling off and on

jwalter04

NAXJA Forum User
Ever since I've owned my cherokee, and whenever i turn on either the heat or the A/C, my secondary cooling fan cycles off and on and off and on. Two years ago I had the dealer check it out and they said it was fixed. Only when I overheated on the Jersey turnpike did i find how they fixed it. They had unplugged it. Regardless now plugged back in, it coninues to cycle off and on. Anybody run across this?

If your freon(ac coolant) is low it will cycle on and off with the compressor.

You may just need to get you air condition service.

Flash

There is nothing wrong with the electric fan. It will run whenever the AC compressor is running. If it is cycling on and off quickly, then your AC compressor is doing it also. That would probably be due to a low refrigerant level. You need to check the AC system.

I have owned three XJs and they all have done the same thing. youre jeep wants to stay cool so it kicks the secondary on to cool down and shuts off when it likes the temp better, usually below 210 degrees. my current 98 fan cycles every few minutes with heater or A/C on, but it also runs a little warm.

Mine does exactly the same, Thought it was normal. Only does it in defrost and a/c mode. Maybe to cool the refrigerant in the condesor in front of the rad? I know that if the refrigerant is low on charge the a/c will cycle on and off very frequently.

The ac compressor turn on and off when in defrost position. and when in normal summer ac us

The a/c cylcles when in defrost to act as a dehumidifier to pull excess moisture from the air, helps lots with foggy windows

Back