• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serpentine Adjustment bolt part number?

gba88

NAXJA Forum User
Went to change my serpentine belt today and against better judgement, DIDN'T heat up the adjustment bolt like I wanted to....took my dad's advice and torqued it with the ratchet. Damn thing snapped right off :(

So now I'm screwed until monday...but my question is... how is this bolt sold? Does it come with the metal piece that the idler pulley bolts into, or can you just get the bolt? A part number/name and a approximate price would be good to know too if anyone has this info. Just trying to know as I can when calling dealer on monday. Thanks!

ps went to like 3 auto part stores, lowes and another hardware store with no luck of finding anything similar. That's one long bolt! I think it's metric threaded too (m8x1.25) if the tester thing at lowes was right.

You get the bolt and the adjuster that bolts to the back of the idler pulley at the dealership for about $25 if I remember correctly.

Berwolf said:
You get the bolt and the adjuster that bolts to the back of the idler pulley at the dealership for about $25 if I remember correctly.

Oh man... a trip to the junkyard may be in order.... I figured you could maybe get the bolt for a few bucks or so. The adjuster is the chunk of metal that the idler pulley bolts into too right? Thanks for the quick reply :)

Rev Den: sorry, it's actually a 96 (4.0) and is of the type where you only only loosen the idler pulley and the adjuster bolt (opposed to the setup where you have to loosen all of the bolts on the PS pump).

I did the same thing a couple of months ago. the bolt was either $8 or $11. dont bet on a junk yard. they usually toss those bolts if they dont torch em off when pulling parts. If I can find the part number iwill get it to you. otherwise the dealership should know exactly what you are looking for.

bassfishinXJ said:
I did the same thing a couple of months ago. the bolt was either $8 or $11. dont bet on a junk yard. they usually toss those bolts if they dont torch em off when pulling parts. If I can find the part number iwill get it to you. otherwise the dealership should know exactly what you are looking for.

That's better than $25! Thanks for the info, do you know if they usually stock those or would they have to order it? This is the last damn time I get into a project this late on a saturday....dealer was actually open til 4 and the bolt prob snapped right around when they closed!!!

they had to order mine. if I remember right they were just out of it, depends on the dealer though only took them 24hrs to get for me. I did the same thing, broke the bolt 4pm on a friday had to wait til monday to order it. I tried to make my own but it was nearly impossible to find 8mm fine thread bolts. good luck with it, make sure that bolt line ucooorectly once you have it in palce, dont want to bend it tightening it up.

bassfishinXJ said:
they had to order mine. if I remember right they were just out of it, depends on the dealer though only took them 24hrs to get for me. I did the same thing, broke the bolt 4pm on a friday had to wait til monday to order it. I tried to make my own but it was nearly impossible to find 8mm fine thread bolts. good luck with it, make sure that bolt line ucooorectly once you have it in palce, dont want to bend it tightening it up.

Cool....guess if I have to wait, I'll have to wait. I had some all thread that I tried to work something out with too and it just wasn't gonna happen.

I don't know if it's the same, but the part numbers for my '97 are:

1. Bolt - 3420-2029
2. Tensioner - 5301-0149

Bolt is the long one you turn to adjust idler pully up and down, tensioner is the aluminum piece the bolt goes through and the pulley bolts to. Yours may be good if you only broke the bolt. My XJ came from New Hampshire, and this part was in pretty bad shape, but when I took it all apart, I only had to clean it up, remove the rust, lube it, and it works fine now. I coated the whole length of the bolt with blue marine grease, so hopefully it won't rust any more. Works real nice now.

I did this a long long time ago and all I did was re-thread the hole for some bolt I had lying around that would work

Fred85 said:
the bolt PN# for my '01 is 6503198

Thanks for the numbers! I had my dad pick up the bolt this morning while I was at work, then I put it all back together at his place this afternoon.

Part bag has all kinds of numbers on it, but one number matched the one posted above, it was 06503198. Came to $9.75.

Turns out changing the serpentine belt *was* a half hour job.... ended up taking me three days though because of a busted bolt and starting it on a saturday afternoon!

Back