• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ D30 swap

ZgreatJ

NAXJA Forum User
Some guy offered me a D30 complete with brakes from a 2004 Grand Cherokee for $25. Has this swap been done? And if so, is it a direct bolt in or does some work need to be done? Is it worth the effort? It would give me a headstart on upgrading my braking. Thanks for any info on this one.

for 25 dollars, i'd grab it as quick as i could. if it doesn't look like it will pan out,....ebay it.

Frank Z said:
If it's a low pinion you should rob the knuckles and brakes and do a WJ knuckle conversion on a your axle, assuming that yours is a HP30.

wj's have a low pinion d30

the wj knuckle convertion is a nice mod for high steer

25 bucks is a steal

Almost everything is different,wheel pattern,trackbar mounting!

I dont consider myself hugely knowledgeable but remember asking about this years ago for similar reasons. I was told that the WJ axle may have better brakes but was otherwise a POS. Many compromises to the soccer-mom set. I suspect the spring mounts are different. I think it was mentioned that the case is weaker, maybe aluminum?

chrslefty said:
sorry to h/j but what about a 30 from a zj ? is it the same problem ?

Low Pinion, and could possible have the shitty CV shafts. Only thing it might have better is the Zj tie rod.

OK I own a 04 WJ and a XJ. The problems with a WJ D30

5X5 lug pattern
LCA mounts are further inboard and lead to DW problems with as little as 2" of lift on a WJ.
CV axles
Low pinion

The good things
steering knuckles are easy mod for high steer on a XJ D30 and they have BIG calipers and steering arms.
and that is about all. Hope this helps. The WJ D30 is not really worth the work to put it in but the parts on it are worth big $

The WJ D30s do have better stopping brakes but are notorious for warping rotors. If you use the WJ brakes don't use the factory rotors. Even the ones from Autozone seem to last longer. Also be sure to torque the lugs evenly.

stoneattic said:
The WJ D30s do have better stopping brakes but are notorious for warping rotors. If you use the WJ brakes don't use the factory rotors. Even the ones from Autozone seem to last longer. Also be sure to torque the lugs evenly.
There is a TSB on this issue. It was corrected at the factory level in ~2002. IIRC the original calipers were Continental-Teves, the replacement was Akebono. Or maybe I have that backwards... search and all will be revealed.

$25 take it and do the WJ knuckle conversion on a HP D30.

reece146 said:
There is a TSB on this issue. It was corrected at the factory level in ~2002. IIRC the original calipers were Continental-Teves, the replacement was Akebono. Or maybe I have that backwards... search and all will be revealed.

$25 take it and do the WJ knuckle conversion on a HP D30.

It was? I just took my 04 in to have the warped rotors replaced under warranty and the out come of the class action lawsuit that Jeep lost. You get a one time free replacement then it is on you.

shelbyluvv said:
It was? I just took my 04 in to have the warped rotors replaced under warranty and the out come of the class action lawsuit that Jeep lost. You get a one time free replacement then it is on you.

And if you had already replaced the rotors yourself before the class action suit you need to have receipts to be reimbursed and you only get reimbursed for the parts. Also, according to other WJ related forums JU & NAGCA) the new ones warp too.

Shogun said:
I dont consider myself hugely knowledgeable but remember asking about this years ago for similar reasons. I was told that the WJ axle may have better brakes but was otherwise a POS. Many compromises to the soccer-mom set. I suspect the spring mounts are different. I think it was mentioned that the case is weaker, maybe aluminum?

You are thinking of the rear D44 axle with the alloy centre.

Back