• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.8 into a 3.4 help pleaz

I would just use the intake and exhaust from your 2.8, otherwise it should be a direct swap. same block, same heads... i think all 3.4s are serpentine so i would use all of their accessories to keep it simple + the 3.4 should have higher amp alternator. Other than that it should be just like dropping in another 2.8

Should be a direct swap - the 3.4 is a bored and stroked 2.8L.

Notes -
Check your donors carefully. You want a RWD/4WD or a GSR block. The GSR ("Goodwrench Service Replacement") can also be found in FWD vehicles - it can be distinguished by having start motor mount pads on BOTH sides of the engine block - if a FWD, it will have an unused start motor mount pad on the BACK side of the engine block, as mounted. The straight FWD blocks have the start motor mount pad on the wrong side, and you won't be able to mount the starter.

You can probably use your 2.8L top end on the 3.1/3.4L block - but why? Grab the electronics from a vehicle of roughly the same vintage (+/- a year or two, as long as it's the same generation of OBD) and do the swap right. I think Howell might also have F/I kits that will work for you as well.

More as I think of it...

i bought a cherokee with a blown motor and i dont want to put another crappy 2.8. im thinking of looking for a 90somethin camero.

Yeah - an F-body (Camaro/Firebird) or an S-series (S-10/S-15 Blazer/pickup) would make for a direct donor - but don't overlook the FWD donors. As I'd said, GSR blocks will also give you an easy swap, since the start motor mount pad is in the right place (one of them will be, anyhow...)

bajacalal said:
I don't think the S series trucks ever came with a 3.4L... 2.5 I4, 2.8 V6 and then straight to the 90 degree V6.

you are correct. 3.4 was never used in the s-series. The 2.8 and 4.3 were.

Granted some probably have the 3.4 upgrade as that is popular for 2.8 trucks.

Back