• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Easy question - brake line leak I think

gundog

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 Cherokee with a leak of some sort of fluid dripping out of one of the holes on the driver side frame (underneath). The leak is near the rear wheel. When I look under the car, there is a wet hose coming from the block that sits on top of the rear axel that connects to the side of the frame. The fitting at the frame is loose. Anyone now what this hose is an where it leads to? I assume the block on the rear axel is a proportioning valve, but I have no idea about the hose and the schematic in my Haynes manual is of no use. If anyone has a clue, I would appreciate a reply.

ABS? might be your brake line that runs to the ABS, or if you have the 8.25 i think theres a overflow hose that runs up there

8.25 is refering to the rearend that you may have. Your rig came stock with one of three rearends. More then likely it is a Dana 35. If it is not a D35 then it is probably a Chrysler 8.25. The 87-89 XJ's with the factory heavy duty tow package came with an optional Dana 44. You can tell by looking at it what model it is. If you dont know what your looking for, I am sure if you do a search on the site it will come up with a picture for you. Hope this helps........

Right now I need more help on the leak. If identifying the rear end aids this then I will search. Any clues on the leaking?

Its the axle breather vent,it just dumps into the framerail.

Did you try tightening the bolt that holds that block on the rearend and check the connections from the block you are calling a perportioning valve to the lines? I'm thinking it's only a TEE to send fluid to both wheel cylinders.

Brake fluid has a definite odor, check your master cyl for loss of fluid then smell of the fluid and see if the leak smells the same as the leaking fluid. Hope this helps.

I appreciate the posts but the leak is at the framerail, not at the manifold/splitter block.

If this tube is a vent for the rear axel, why would there be fluid coming out the upper end? The elevation of the top of this tube is about 8 inches above the rear axel. For fluid to travel this far, there has to be a source of pressure or diff fluid expansion. Any clues?

parkeruph said:
Has it been in any deep water that you know of?

Nope, no water to speak of. It has been extremely cold in Utah. Would a malfunction of the differential or wheel bearings cause this? I haven't noticed anything of this sort but I thought I would ask.

I would say your best clue is what fluid is dripping. Brake fluid looks and smells completely different from gear oil. If you're not familiar with the smells, go by a brake shop and have them look at it, they'll tell you which it is.

Back