• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1 more inch? maybe 2?

Brett M

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking that I want to go slightly higher on lift.....what do you guys think? This is at 4.5" with 33's....

JeepPaint021.jpg

I wouldnt go much higher unless you are wanting a SHOW x 4 instead of a 4X4. I am running about 5.5" lift with massive trimming and 33's, but mine is not a DD and I wheel the hell out of it. If you wheel ALOT, I would not go much higher with 33's.

Just my .02
:greensmok

CanMan said:
Why would you want to? What does your current setup consist of?

Mostly it's just because when I'm out on trips, I'm loaded pretty heavy in the rear and I start rubbing a lot, especially the rear. I guess part of it is that I would like to just get the body up anothe inch, period, for no real reason. Currently I'm sitting on a 4.5" RE short arm kit. Hopefully, the front will get long arms within the next two months, though.

dadilius said:
I'm thinking that I want to go slightly higher on lift.....what do you guys think?
Yes, not enough lift for the tire size. I like the way 31's look on that much lift. 33's look too big.

I had 33's with 4.5" lift before I bumped it up a little and it worked, but I had to trim like mad. If she is a street queen then I would go down to 32's or use a 1.75" spacer and drop shackles to get-er-up a little but then ya gotta SYE so hmmmm what to do?

AZRockRunner said:
I had 33's with 4.5" lift before I bumped it up a little and it worked, but I had to trim like mad. If she is a street queen then I would go down to 32's or use a 1.75" spacer and drop shackles to get-er-up a little but then ya gotta SYE so hmmmm what to do?

Not a street queen to say the least, she was just pretty in that pic ;) 80% of the time, yeah, streets, but it gets used off road as much as I can. I'm thinking shackles or a new spring pack, and also the spacer. As for the SYE, I'll just run up the valley and talk to Tom Woods, easy enough to do, since he seems to be the only one that makes a 242 SYE. :sunshine:

Just to prove it's not a mall crawler :)

waterfall.jpg

if you wanna quit rubbin i would either drop to 31/32s, trim the fenders or get a tad more lift.

seeing how pretty your rig is, i could understand why you wouldnt wanna trim the fenders. body damage, however, is inevitable.

i ran 4.5" on 33s for a while with massive trimming and no bumpstops without rubbing i loved it. i stepped up to 35s and now im running 5.5-6" and it rubs a little but barely

-Tim

ive got a 98 with a re 4.5 and im planning on doing a long arm kit and putting one more inch with my 33s. im rubbing and i dont want to do any major trimming. i have trimmed a liittle but not nearly enough. im saving now for lockers and regear so that will come in the very near future! so next thing will prolly be the long arms.

jeepnuts311 said:
if you wanna quit rubbin i would either drop to 31/32s, trim the fenders or get a tad more lift.

seeing how pretty your rig is, i could understand why you wouldnt wanna trim the fenders. body damage, however, is inevitable.

i ran 4.5" on 33s for a while with massive trimming and no bumpstops without rubbing i loved it. i stepped up to 35s and now im running 5.5-6" and it rubs a little but barely

-Tim

Not bad for stock paint on a '89 huh? I doubt I'll ever go smaller on tires, but it is an option. I'm probably going with the option of 1 more inch of lift and call it good. About the only body damage I've suffered so far has been nailing the rockers, and only on my side (I hug the side I can see more of.) I'll end up having one of the shops in my area build some sort of sliders this year, then paint them to match the silver and keep it pretty, haha.

habibi said:
ive got a 98 with a re 4.5 and im planning on doing a long arm kit and putting one more inch with my 33s. im rubbing and i dont want to do any major trimming. i have trimmed a liittle but not nearly enough. im saving now for lockers and regear so that will come in the very near future! so next thing will prolly be the long arms.

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me. I don't want to hack off too much fender either, as I do like the look as it is now. Long arms, one more inch of lift, gears and a Detroit for the 44 are this years big plans.

Ahhh, Inchitus... I remember when.
If you don't have hockey pucks or longer shackles yet, that is an easy way to lift it up an inch or so. But with fixed LCA/UCA's it will start to drive like crap with increased bump steer and driveline vibes.
Long arms and a drop track bar bracket will of course correct the steering and front drive shaft angles and an SYE will help the back. I ran a 6.5 inch long arm with 1.5 inch front spacers and 1.75 inch rear shackles and 35's and it drove fine on the street. Took a bit of tweeking on the steering to get it right, but it's doable. And I originally cut the rear to the pinch seam and adjusted the front fenders to what I needed.

Back