• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

busted exhaust manifold

blue95xj

<---- Brrrrrrrr!
So the old exhaust manifold finally went and when I mean went I mean that the tube broke off at the collector. now I don't really have any time to weld it back up or any other car that I can drive, so I was wondering if it would do any damage to the valvetrain to just run it for a little while until I can fix it?

wont hurt the valvetrain to drive it leaking exhaust, it's far more dangerous to you. Depending on how much exhaust is escaping it may cause a fire, melt plastic parts or wire insulation, or worse give you carbon monoxide poisoning in the cab.

You can't smell the amount of CO that it takes to cause death. If you absolutely have to drive, keep the windows down.

I went ahead and drove it today and took a 2nd look at it and both of the down tubes are seperated from the collector and down pipe so I'll busting out the welder in the morning. But I talked to a tech at work and he was telling me that if you get some cold air in the it can warp the E valves, so let's hope none of that happened. If so I've got a spare head with a fresh valve job on it that I can slap on there. also I'll take some pics to show you guys.

If it is large enough hole and its cold enough, the ext. valve start to leak!

from there you start to run on less cylinders!

Flash.

I suppose a hairline crack wouldn't cause any problems?

Now, I could see THIS causing problems....

brokenheader.jpg

here's the pics, I was going to take some with it off the engine but my batteries went in the digital camera
Emanifold002.jpg

Emanifold001.jpg

I wonder if all that mud held in some heat? :p

Try not to drive it only if you need to, the less back perssure you have the less power and the vibration can shake parts lose(my exhaust was like that and i think my manifold is about to go) also it will kill your mpg and it can mess with the valves alittle but thats only if you leave it like that for a wile.
-Keep Jeepin

now she's fixed for good got an APN header on monday and just got done with the install about a half hour ago, great fit.

Thats good to now!.....Glad to see it back on the road!:thumbup:

Flash.

Blaine B. said:
I suppose a hairline crack wouldn't cause any problems?

Now, I could see THIS causing problems....

brokenheader.jpg

my wifes manifold on her TJ broke exactly like that. not only did it sound insanely loud and like a real shitty V8 with no exhaust, but it also backfires like crazy and will damage valves if not corrected immidately. when my wife got to the house after it broke while she was driving, i gave her my jeep and let her jeep sit until the new borla headers came in. no since it damaging the engine.

Back