• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes After Lifting

M4Madness

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '96 Cherokee Sport that I'm getting ready to lift in the next week or so. Will going from stock 215/75/15 tires to 31X10.50x15 tires greatly affect my braking? I'm sure it will affect it negatively somewhat, but hoping that it won't be too bad.

I was playing around with the tire calculator on 1010tires.com, and it said you may experience brake failure if you install a tire 3% larger than stock -- I'm going about 11%. I figure it's just "crying wolf" and am not really that concerned about it.

I run 35s with stock brakes. As long as you pay attention to the condition of your brakes, they are fine. You will have to adjust how you drive, i.e. learning to anticipate when you will be stopping, and stopping sooner than you previously did.

I towed two motorcycles home on a trailer, and the brakes were fine.

Check the rear wheel cylinders. Even if they are not leaking, one may be seized, and that will have a huge impact on your braking ability. They are cheap and easy to replace. Jeep rear wheel cylinders are notorious for going bad/seizing, and causing a soft pedal.

Erik

Back