• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear end upgrade options??

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
I'm swapping in a new rear axle soon. Not a full width.
Besides the XJ Dana 44 or Ford 8.8 rear ends......

WHAT OTHER rear axles are a good swap??
What donor vehicles should I consider?? Toyota? Isuzu? Nissan?
Anything from Blazers or Jimmys?

thanks!

barillms said:
WHAT OTHER rear axles are a good swap??
What donor vehicles should I consider?? Toyota? Isuzu? Nissan?
Anything from Blazers or Jimmys?

thanks!

about the same width you could use the isuzu, which was dana 44 and disc brake, the trooper had a really beefy corporate axle as well. zuzu guys complained when they started using dana 44s instead. i think the width is like 61. ARB makes lockers for both

-Tim

jeepnuts311 said:
about the same width you could use the isuzu, which was dana 44 and disc brake, the trooper had a really beefy corporate axle as well. zuzu guys complained when they started using dana 44s instead. i think the width is like 61. ARB makes lockers for both

-Tim

Only downside is the Isuzu 44/12 bolt hubs are 6 lug, 5 lug hubs can be bought though if you can find one worthwile to install

ZacSquatch said:
Only downside is the Isuzu 44/12 bolt hubs are 6 lug, 5 lug hubs can be bought though if you can find one worthwile to install
who makes them?

A Toyota 8" is a good upgrade. Just make sure you either get the V6 8" or the E-locker one. The 4cyl model 8" is a little weaker, I think it had smaller bearings or something to that degree. I have one with the E-Locker out of a 4Runner in my rig. Only thing is, it's 6 lug so you would have to have wheel adaptors or get a 6 lug front axle. Oh yea and it is about 60" WMS-WMS.
-Matt

I just finished swapping in a 94 Isuzu Rodeo Dana 44 in the back and a 91 Grand Waggy 44 up front. Both are 6x5.5 though.

The Rodeo Dana 44 was a little narrower than stock so it has Spidertrax 1.25" spacers.

ALSO, the Rodeo Dana 44 has 1.5" 30 spline shafts..

Back