• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Engine/Trans Mount Part Question

oldradiostuff

NAXJA Forum User
Patient is a 90 XJ 4 Door with 4.0 and AX-15 / NP231, 235000 miles.

Need to change the clutch soon. While doing that, I want to do some other R&R - mainly U joints and rear engine mount.

Question is which part(s) of the engine mount are the ones I will want to replace?

Likely candidates (from my exploded parts diagram) seem to be:

5200 3939 - "Spacer"
5200 3927 - "Bracket, Transmission Support Rear Type 2 Aisin AX15"
5300 0101 - "Insulator"
5300 0104 - "Bracket"

Thanks in advance for any advice. This forum is a great resource.

Dave

the engine is supported by two mounts in the front and one in the rear, in the front, there is one on either side. they are roughly triangular and are rubber surrounded by metal. the rear mount is actually a transmission mount. you can get to it by removing the crossmember and there are 4 bolts holding the mount to the crossmember/tranny.

when i replaced mine i just went to the LAPS and asked for a tranny mount and engine mounts.

tranny mount is a hard rubber brick with 4 studs

engine mounts come with the metal housing and the rubber blocks

HTH
-Tim

Yeah, I did the driver side mount about two months ago while I had the intake and exhaust manifolds off. It looked like the rubber was cracked, and when I took it out that bushing was split clean in two. That job was actually much easier than I expected - maybe 15 minutes. The passenger side mount still looks OK, so I'm going to leave it for a couple more months.

I used a Mopar replacement for the driver's mount, and want to do the same on the tranny mount (figure the original lasted 230K miles, maybe the replacement will go another 230K), but just can't quite figure out which pieces I should order from Makeitmopar (need to use the Mopar part numbers).

Dave

My book shows 5200 1180 for the 4.0L 4wd. They call it a cushion.

That's interesting, Tom. My diagrams show the 5200 1180 as the rear transmission cushion for the 2.5L engine. But that does point me in the right direction, I think, as the similar part for the 4.0 on my diagram appears to be 5200 2334.

Thank you. Anybody else have any input to this one?

I checked a second source and it appears that you are correct. Sorry for the mis-information.

No need to apologize. That actually pointed me in the right direction, I think. I hadn't considered that part from viewing the diagram, but I think it is probably the one I should get. I haven't taken the crossmember off before, so I'm not sure what it actually looks like in there between the member and the tranny yet.

Anybody else have an opinion on this one?

Thanks.
Dave

Back