• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway bar disconnects

jdurbach

NAXJA Forum User
Im thinking of fabricating swaybar disconnects myself. I think I would use some steel tubing to make a sleeve and then cut the endlinks in half and drill holes in them and the steel tubing as well. Possibly using hairpins to hold them together. Has anyone done this and did it work? Post pics if you have them please!

hairpins?? I don't think hairpins would last very long... you need snapper pins or hitch pins or something. I'd say 3/16" DIA minimum, which is going to be hard considering how small of a DIA the stock endlinks are. What you're describing is the same basic design as Rubicon's first gen disconnects, and that style is a big ol' PITA to use.

These are the pins RE used with their Gen 1 discos:
324.jpg

Check out this old write-up on my site, it's got some info on extending the stock endlinks and using them for disconnects:
http://jeepin.com/features/discons/

Just get rid of the sway bar! I run an 8" skyjacker lift and trashed the sway bar. I see no ill efects on the street or highway. Others will argue this point I'm sure. Unbolt the thing and try it for your self before spending time building something you have to lay in the dirt and fuss with. Opinions are good but, its your rig and your opinion that matters!

Last edited:
cdhowell said:
Just get rid of the sway bar! I run an 8" skyjacker lift and trashed the sway bar. I see no ill efects on the street or highway. Others will argue this point I'm sure. Unbolt the thing and try it for your self before spending time building something you have to lay in the dirt and fuss with. Opinions are good but, its your rig and your opinion that matters!

I ran this way for a while, but after modding the leaves to flex better, it's a little scary without it. I still have a tendancy to run disconnected around town, but if I hit the highway it gets hooked back up!

I'm running without mine right now as I cut the links off and haven't gotten around to welding them back on.

Don't do what I am doing. Keep the swaybar, its there for a reason. :) You can often get used disco's for $50 or so on ebay or here, if your patient .. or its not that hard to make your own.

Keep the sway bars.

I don't have them, and am fine without them, but that is what I do. I drove to RI from MI, and then towed a trailer home from MI to RI, with no ill effects felt. That is me though. Look for used disconnects.

Erik

Back