• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ Booster and Master cylinder

texinteg

NAXJA Forum User
Does any one know what size adapter fittings to use when hooking up the WJ master cylinder to the xj proportioning valve on my 88 xj. If not the I will jst cut and reflare the line. I would prefer adapters though. I know someone said it was a metric to standard fitting. But I dont know which one.

You have to make new lines *anyways*, as your old master has outputs on the passenger side and the WJ master has outputs on the driver side.

It used to be you could buy factory WJ lines and bend them a little to fit, as they had a flex section in them .. but they have updated the design and the new ones don't really work, you are better of making your own. You'll need a double flare at the prop valve end and a bubble flare at the master end.

You probably could if you found the right ones, but the 12mm metric is kind of uncommon.

It would be a lot less work to cut the bottom ends off and reflare them with a double flare tool .. like 5 minute job instead of driving to 8 parts houses or waiting for shipping.

I don't even bother with the WJ lines anymore. I cut the 2 fittings off the old line and just make up new ones with 3/16 line from Napa. Usually takes me about 10 minutes to make both lines from scratch.. I've had a double flare tool for 15 years, and the bubble flare tool was $20 on ebay.

So if i bought a double flare tool could I just cut the wj lines where it goes into the prop. valve and put new fittings on it with a double flare?

Yes, or call your local parts stores, many of them do the rent/loan tools thing.

Whatever it takes to get the job done. ;)

I have a rule that the second time I need to borrow a tool in a one year period, I buy it. I have a lot of tools now.

thats a good rule. I was planning one buying one but one of my buddies out in the shop offered for me to use his so why not save the money.

Make sure you flare them right. I had a heck of a time when I had to do some. Even when they looked perfect, I still sprung a leak. Absolutely positively buy a quality flare tool. I bought mine at sears, (not craftsman though) and had to exhange it 3 times because they were cast slightly wrong.

I dont think I will have a problem with the tool. The one I borrowed was a MAC tool. I will practice one a scrap piece first. Thanks for the replies.

Back