• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help what rear end do I have

Oil Town XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've got my hands on a free rear end out of an 84 Grand Wagoneer and I'm guessing it would be a dana 44 but I have no idea. I was hopeing some one here would know what i've got

Grand Wagoneer like a full size, or the cherokee one that just has the silly headlights??

If it's an XJ, then it's probably a D35, but could be an AMC 20.

If it's and SJ (full size grand wagoneer) then it's either a D44 or AMC 20.

If it's an XJ, I'd be hoping for the AMC 20.

got a pic? or atleast a description of it?

mjma said:
Grand Wagoneer like a full size, or the cherokee one that just has the silly headlights??

If it's an XJ, then it's probably a D35, but could be an AMC 20.

If it's and SJ (full size grand wagoneer) then it's either a D44 or AMC 20.

If it's an XJ, I'd be hoping for the AMC 20.

got a pic? or atleast a description of it?

:doh:

Forgot about the FSJ's. Above would be correct.

Oil Town XJ said:
I dont have any pics of it yet but out of a full size Grand wagoneer and the diff is round

Does it look like this? If so, it is an AMC 20.

axle_amc20.jpg

Oil Town XJ said:
I dont have any pics of it yet but out of a full size Grand wagoneer and the diff is round

most likely is an AMC 20 with 5 on 5.5 or maybe even 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern.

AMC 20 is a good rear axle if it came with 1 piece rear axle shafts. Some have 2 piece rear axle shafts, which are kinda weak, but can be upgraded. IIRC if you weld the tubes on this axle, it's comparable to a D44. If you can get the matching front axle to go with it (should be a 44) they work great in a YJ. Could be made to go into an XJ aswell.

Unfortunatley, it's probalby got some stupid 2.something gears in it though...

***also, IIRC I believe that real H1 hummers use AMC20 center sections for their diffs.

There are aftermarket parts, but probably not quite as much as for the D44. If it's free, and in good shape, it may be worth building. Price the gears and such and compare. If you could get the matching front axle, it would definitely be worth it. Keep in mine, it's not the same bolt pattern as a stock XJ.

Back