• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OBA Tank

I'm following this thread....I want to mount a tank too. I have a Viair compressor mounted in right-side rear...and want to fit a tank. Thinking of building a built-in tool/parts compartment in the back...and putting tank right behind the rear seat (want to keep rear seat operational). Curious to know if a place exists to mount underneath.

My 2.5 gallon tank (fire extinguisher) is mounted underneath. I think it has different dimensions than the 2.5 gal Viair tank though.

oba60.jpg

oba61.jpg

Full OBA writeup is here: http://www.ericsxj.com/oba.htm

Mine's just in front of the black storage box, and the quickair2 is next to it.

didntmakeitsm.jpg

I don't know how your tank is setup to be mounted. This is how I mounted my Co2 tank.
Looking in with the hatch up.

Looking back from the front seat. With back seat folded down.

Not the best pics. This is loaded for a trail run. I built a shelf that spans across the back. Heavy stuff on the bottom, lite stuff strapped down on the top. Co2 tank goes through the shelf. Has a strap welded to the shelf, goes around and clamps the tank in place.

What's the point of bothering with a tank? The ONLY benefit would be a buffer to help run air tools. I think the added weight of air tools (and a tank) isn't necessary, since all your doing is saving a few minutes time doing a trail repair, which could also be done without the air tools.

The tank helps little getting a tire set back on the bead, since the first blast of air rarely gets the bead set, you usually have to mess with it before it will seat. For normal airing up, the tank saves you a few seconds on the first tire, then for the rest of the tires you're just running off the pump anyway.

Air tanks are one of those things that sound nice but are of little actual value in the real world unless you are running air lockers, then you're pump won't cycle on so much to keep the lockers locked.

Goatman said:
What's the point of bothering with a tank? The ONLY benefit would be a buffer to help run air tools. I think the added weight of air tools (and a tank) isn't necessary, since all your doing is saving a few minutes time doing a trail repair, which could also be done without the air tools.

The tank helps little getting a tire set back on the bead, since the first blast of air rarely gets the bead set, you usually have to mess with it before it will seat. For normal airing up, the tank saves you a few seconds on the first tire, then for the rest of the tires you're just running off the pump anyway.

Air tanks are one of those things that sound nice but are of little actual value in the real world unless you are running air lockers, then you're pump won't cycle on so much to keep the lockers locked.

Good point... now I must ponder

Goatman said:
What's the point of bothering with a tank? For normal airing up, the tank saves you a few seconds on the first tire, then for the rest of the tires you're just running off the pump anyway.

Not completely true, when you take the air chuck off one tire, and move to the next with the compressor running, it fills the tank while you are in between tires. Also you can use the air without turning on the compressor it if is just a small job (i.e. parked in the snow, just filling an inner tube to go sledding, or blowing something off with air, etc...)

do you have anycloseups of your mount tim or is it just some huge ass zip ties. That looks really cool though

is that a spare sway bar i see just in case one gets f'ed up on the trail?? :p

one scrap piece of angle iron, couple welds, and big ass zipties. the black thing was there from the stock spare tire carrier.

no, that was my front swaybar, and i dont have a garage and i didnt want to throw it away. lol

oh, and in the back corner, thats a pile of mud, not rust

-Tim

Last edited:
i have the viair 2.5 gallon tank also but i have not mounted it because i dont know where i want it either...........i was thinking horizontally over the wheel well where the factory spare is supposed to be. I was also going to mount the viair compressor on the factory spare tire bracket with a little fab work.

the viair tank is pretty clean lookin and it mounts horizontally, i was gonna mount it right behind my spare on the roof rack.
the tank is only 6 inches in diameter so it wouldnt stick up above the rack but about 2".
only problem i have with that is i was gonna run my airlines through the hatch because thats where im mounting my compressor but
my hatch doesnt open anymorehasta

Here's where I put mine:

100_2403.jpg

I do have air lockers,

100_2279.jpg

and an air horn. :)

100_2281.jpg

You can see that water quickly accumulates in the tank. Consequently, the solenoid for the air horn freezes up when it is cold. Haven't had a problem with the pneumatic activators for the lockers, but I'm sure that rusty water will have a negative effect eventually.

Fred

That is a T-Locker from Tera.

I've run with a tank and without a tank, and I can't tell the difference in anything that I do. One of the magazines did a test a few years ago filling up four tires with and without a tank, and the difference in time was literally a few seconds. Nothing wrong with having a tank, but it's just not needed. I'd spend the few extra bucks and get a good volume pump.

Back