• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep wouldnt stop

J98cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I live in the mountains right now and I was coming down a very steep road and I was picking up speed so I hit the brakes and realized I wouldnt be able to get my Jeep to stop even if a kid jumped in front of me (scary feeling : \)...i pushed my peddle down as hard as I could and it would only slow me down, this is obviously not safe..its never happened before, Ive always been able to stop just fine but then again Ive never been on a hill that was that steep. I can pump the brakes to where I cant even push the peddle down so it doesnt seem like there is air in the lines does anyone have any thoughts.

98 Cherokee 32" tires, stock brake setup
Also the brakes are in great shape... well atleast the front are...the back arent "that" great.

not an answer you're looking for

this has nothing to do with your post so I'll say sorry ahead of time. I cant figure out how to start a posting thread. All i can do is reply to threads already posted. Can you walk a noob through it?

J98cherokee said:
I live in the mountains right now and I was coming down a very steep road and I was picking up speed so I hit the brakes and realized I wouldnt be able to get my Jeep to stop even if a kid jumped in front of me (scary feeling : \)...i pushed my peddle down as hard as I could and it would only slow me down, this is obviously not safe..its never happened before, Ive always been able to stop just fine but then again Ive never been on a hill that was that steep. I can pump the brakes to where I cant even push the peddle down so it doesnt seem like there is air in the lines does anyone have any thoughts.

98 Cherokee 32" tires, stock brake setup
Also the brakes are in great shape... well atleast the front are...the back arent "that" great.
Sure it's not just brake fade? ie the fronts are hot. I went with a drilled rotor and a set of hawk brake pads on my 01 when i was tooling around the mountians a couple years back. Helped alot!

I second the motion on Brake Fade.

If you run lower gears while descending steep inclines, you can use your gear reduction and engine compression to slow you down.

Brake fade happens when the contact surfaces of your brakes get REALLY hot and then they won't work as efficently.

Maybe some racing brakes for the front will take care of your problem. Some of the higher end racing brakes work better at higher temps. (Slotted and drilled rotors, and some high performance pads)

Probably brake fade, Its amazing they don't warp easier when they get hot, I've baked mine a few times with no warpage. Definately time to re-gear

You might try running it in 3rd (assuming automatic tranny) when going down steep hills. This will help take some of the pressure off the brakes and use the engine to do some of the braking.

Back