• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'96 Grand D44 into '89 XJ?

Flyfisher

NAXJA Forum User
OK...I know somebody out there has done this. I saw an ad for a D44 rear from a '96 Grand Cherokee with disc breaks for a good price. Since I have the D35 rear in my '89 XJ and have been torn about weather to replace it or build it, the ad caught my attention.

Now, how difficult will it be, and what issues will I have to deal with to swap in the '96 Grand's D44 into my '89? For my rig...it's an '89 Wagoneer Limited (XJ), NP242, D35 rear, 4.0 Renix, AW4.

Also, the same guy is selling the D30 front from the same '96 Grand. My son's XJ ('88 Cherokee, NP231, 4.0 Renix, AW4, disco D30 front) is having trouble with the front axle disconnect. The guy wants only $100 for the D30 from the '96 (without breaks)...cheaper than the solid axle shaft conversion. Are there issues with that swap that I should be aware of, or maybe I should just by the whole axle just to have the solid shaft? I'm thinking issues like control arm mount locations/size, track bar mount locations/size, etc.

As always....Thanks in advance for all the expert (and experienced) advice available here.

The 44 rear is probably cast aluminum, I would stay away from it, but if you wanted it you would have to cut the coil perches off and put leaf perches on.
D30 should be a direct swap, except hubs and brakes I think.

OK...so sounds like the D44 is a no-go...I should probably stick with my plan to find a Ford 8.8 from an Explorer (with disc's). And since the D30 has CV joint ends...would not suit my needs either. Bummer on both accounts.

The D44 is $150...donno if it makes the brakes worth wile. Let me know.

The dana 30 isn't a total loss.

It is a low pinion non disco front end. The brakes and bearings are the same. As is the housing. It's just the axleshafts themselves aren't really up to snuff. But if it had the gearset you are looking for, it is worth $100 to $150. You can put some axleshafts from an xj in. They slide right into place.

if he'd sell the brakes for $50 (hey he's selling the axle for next to nothing, too), then I could pay for them, shipping, and a "handling" fee for you :) Shoot me a PM.

OK...I've sent him an e-mail asking about the brakes.

As far as the axle is concerned...What I need for son's XJ is the axle shaft (so I can eliminate his vac disco). Don't see how the CV front D30 would be helpful. Am I missing something?

OK Sharpie...I've sent an e-mail asking about price for the brakes...hope to get a reply tomorrow. I'll let you know. I think it's best if I pass on the rest.

Hey Sharpie...talked to the guy this morning. He doesn't want to separate the brakes, and since I don't want the axle, looks like I won't be able to work you a deal on the brakes. Sorry!

Back