• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Should I be able to wiggle my t-case around easily??

speedmonkey7

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I'm a noob to jeeps, I just got a stock 2000 XJ with a 4.0 and auto trans, and there is a groaning noise under acceleration through the shift into 2nd gear then it quits. I have avidly searched threads related to this problem, and not really found out what fixed other people's issues. I can grab on to the rear of my t-case and wiggle it an easy 1/8" and more if I try hard. I am wondering if I need a new trans mount, it doesnt look torn, by there is a small scrap of rubber coming out from the top of the mount. I just don't know how to tell if I need a new trans mount or not...help please!! All the other stuff, u joints, front diff and drivelines checks out fine. I even took the front driveline off and the noise is still there.
Thanks, Chris:bawl:

graons and moans bc its a jeep

:)
1st of all.

check the ATF levels in both the Trans and T-case

and yes i said ATF in the t-case

remember if the case is aluminum and you're adding fluid only use ATF as a rule of thumb..

i've seen to many cases ruined by ppl that said "well the guys at the quick oil place said to put in 90 wt gear oil."

its to thick for the pump and it strips the teeth of the pump drive then shortly after the case is fried..

easily is a very relative term. it should wiggle, but not too much...I think the haynes manual advises to pry at it and to replace if there is "excessive movement" ...whatever that means...you culd try having someone apply the brakes and shift from p to d while you watch, and maybe gas it a little w/ the brakes on...you may be able to see a problem. I would advise against sticking your fingers in there while testing.

You should be able to move it around SOME, as the mounts are rubber, and are meant to give... If you have a loud clunking sound under sudden acceleration, then i'd consider changing it.

You describe it as a groaning sound though, which sounds more like low fluid in the tranny, or t-case.. Does the sound disappear after the 1st to 2nd shift?

Hi, yes the sound does dissappear after the shift into 2nd. I just checked all the fluid levels again and everything is perfect. I don't get it. The motor and trans mounts are fine too. I had my fiance shift it back and forth in gear and even power brake it a little while I watched the mounts, to check them and they dont flex much at all. It also seems to go away when I put it in 4WD hi or low. :cry:

sounds too me like the mount is bad if it goes away under fourwheel then youve got even forward to backward tension on it so its probaly only gonna go up not side to side.

Re: graons and moans bc its a jeep

JLane99XJ said:
:)
remember if the case is aluminum and you're adding fluid only use ATF as a rule of thumb..

i've seen to many cases ruined by ppl that said "well the guys at the quick oil place said to put in 90 wt gear oil."

Of course, you'll probably kill your 5-speed by putting in ATF instead of gear oil too. The AX5/15 prefer synthetic, non-sulfur, 75W-90.

Back