• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Could bad TPS cause really hard shifts?

fspell220

NAXJA Forum User
It's a 89 xj w/4.0/aw4 tranny. I'm just curious because I tried to adjust the TV cable and it didn't really help. Also I'm not sure that I adjusted the TV cable right so could anyone please tell me the correct way to adjust it so that I can try that again. I did a search on that and couldn't really find anything. But, I'm still curious about the TPS. I know that if it isn't adjusted correctly that it can cause late/early shifts but I just want to know if anyone has heard of it causing hard shifts. Thanks in advance.

:banghead:

Yes it can cause hard shifts. Sounds like you know a good bit about how they work, and how important they are in relation to the transmission shifting properly.

They can do all kinds of things when they start going bad, or in the case of the Renix motors, get out of proper adjustment. Hard shifts, early or late shifts, random idle, surging engine speeds...etc.

Probably wouldn't hurt to bust out the ole repair book and make sure it's adjusted back to spec.

Back