• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 rear axle swap into a zj?

platinum5.9

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking into a xj 8.25 rear axle. I know that its a superior axle for the cherokees but what do you think if I were to put it into my zj? I just wanna know wether you guys think that it would be strong enough to hold up against my 5.9 v8? Whats the width?I know this is a xj forum but who knows the 8.25 better? The xj guys. Any comments are welcome..

Last edited:
Do you have bigger than stock tires? It should be fine behind the 5.9

The 8.25 is 61.5" wide. its a c-clip axle. For it to be worth it you would need an 8.25 from a 97+ cherokee so you will get the 29 spline axles.

Depending on where you are in NY, it could be beneficial to check out the U pull it yards near you (if any). Last time I went to the one in Bing there was an MJ with a Dana44 in it....they charge $30 for axles drum to drum. I have a 27 spline 8.25 (4.10) and I've had zero problems with it, but it does depend ultimately on what kind of driving you do and the size of the tires you're running.

Last edited:
Back