• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stubborn D44 shafts

sharpie1k

NAXJA Forum User
posted this on JF yesterday, but I could probably get more help here.

was working on my D44 sunday, I removed the passenger drum (will be replaced with discs anyway). Then I removed the four bolts holding the flange against the drum backing plate, which in turn held against the axle tube flange. Well, knowing the D44 is a semi-float, I thought I could just simply mallot the shafts out with a wooden 4x4 and a rubber mallot. Boy, was I wrong.... Here's a picture of what I was doing.

d44.gif

Is this the wrong way of going about removing the shafts?

Put the wheel and tire back on but don't tighten the lugnuts all the way. Use the wheel and tire as a slide hammer to help pull the shaft out. Alternately you can use the brake drum in the same way, just put the drum on so the inside of it faces away from the vehicle.

Mine just slide out. If you have twisted the axle, the splines will sometimes stick in the carrier.

If they haven't been out in a while (Measured in years) or they have integrated bearings (race and bearing, like a unit bearing) they can be tough the first time. Slide hammer is the correct tool. But anyway to increase the leverage/mass will work.

Back