• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions wanted: replace 1 or all ball joints?

2001XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I would like to hear your opinions on whether or not I should replace 1, 2 or all 4 of my ball joints. I have a 2001Xj and have a bad drivers side lower ball joint (camber is -1.3). I obviously have to replace this but I was thinking I should go ahead and replace the upper and lower on the drivers side since I am in there anyway. Then I thought might as well replace all four so that all ball joints are new and I am starting with a clean slate (plus if one is bad, the others are probably not too far behind but not necessarily). I have never done ball joints before so I don't know if it is really necessary to do all of them and how hard it will be and if I want to get into tearing both sides down when only one side really needs repair right now. What would you do?

thanks

All. Do the job and don't worry about it for another 100k.

Kinda like replacing 1 half of a side of brakes. If the inner pad is worn...wouldn't you replace both pads to have the security.

And as replacing ball joints sucks to begin with. Get the ball joint press and finish both sides and relax.

Just my opinion.

Do them all.

thanks for the replies guys....guess it's all four. I am thinking of going with Moogs since I heard they are good quality and I like the fact they have a lifetime warranty. Any reason, I should not use them and go with a different brand?

thanks again

The moogs held up good for me, until I blew up a u-joint and ripped them all to shreds when it bound up. Special circumstances there though.

In all cases, I replaced all 4 while I had the tools out.

Go to your local autozone. Buy one SIDE, that is upper and lower for one side. Make sure you get the lifetime warranty. Then put them on your jeep.

Then a week later, go back to the autozone, with the OTHER side ball joints for the warranty replacement.

My "one" set of balljoints has lasted me for more than 6 years now.

How does that work? Seems like they would be able to tell that they were not the ones purchased from autozone if you bring in the other side. They will be OEM ones and not aftermarkets.

2001XJ said:
How does that work? Seems like they would be able to tell that they were not the ones purchased from autozone if you bring in the other side. They will be OEM ones and not aftermarkets.

If you have two autozones within driving distance, it will work.

Otherwise, it works just fine. Those guys don't pay much attention anyway.

Trust me, I used to work for autozone. I knew when that stuff was going down and I didn't care. 99% of the employees there don't care either.

Alright, I will give it a shot but if it doesn't work I am telling the guys at Autozone to talk to you. ;)

KarlVP said:
Go to your local autozone. Buy one SIDE, that is upper and lower for one side. Make sure you get the lifetime warranty. Then put them on your jeep.
Then a week later, go back to the autozone, with the OTHER side ball joints for the warranty replacement.

Sure suggest people be criminals and steal parts for their Jeep
Nice real nice

KarlVP said:

You are kidding right? Doing it is one thing but posting that you are doing it is totally wrong. What some people will do to save a buck.

KarlVP said:
If you have two autozones within driving distance, it will work.

Otherwise, it works just fine. Those guys don't pay much attention anyway.

Trust me, I used to work for autozone. I knew when that stuff was going down and I didn't care. 99% of the employees there don't care either.

This is why prices for everything cost more, cause thieves like you doing stuff like this. I can't believe you are even posting this stuff for everyone to see. I suppose you work for waffle house now and give all your friends free food.

Don't anyone worry, I haven't done it.....yet

Back