• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 to 92 4.0 engine swap.

A Lot

It isn't as easy as you would think. You would have to change your wiring harness because the 92 is the first year of the HO engine, Also the down pipe on the exhaust is different. The Cooling system is an open system as opposed to the closed system. The wiring is probably the biggest and most expensive.

Um...yeah. Skip most of that last post info...Its true but not needed.

I put a 95 motor (same as 92) in my 90 XJ (same as your 89)

Differenences are listed above. HO head, cooling, electronics etc.

Here is the swap in a nutshell.

Your intake will bolt up without any problems. Switch to the 92 or later exhaust manifold..Or buy an APN header for $119...Search naxja for the link. Its cheap and good.

Your cooling will work..Or you can switch to open cooling system. Either works fine.

As long as you pay attention as you switch motors...All sensors will move over just fine. Cooling moves over too. You have to switch the distributor and oil sending unit...Again all sensors need to be moved over.

You'll have a little fun putting the vacuum lines back into the top of the valve cover but otherwise, they work fine too.

Make damn sure you don't damange your Crank Position Sensor and reuse your old flex plate as it has the proper triggers for your crank position sensor.

Otherwise, Its BOLT UP without any big problems.

All accessories still bolt up the same...as long as you don't change intakes. The long blocks are identical from valve cover to oil pan...Just the HO head difference and it bolts up no problem at all.

If you have more questions, PM me as I did this swap last summer and getting ready in a couple of weeks to put a stroker motor in as well.

Forgot to say I guess...You do NOT need to swap any electrical or computers...Just move old sensors to new motor and it runs the same. 4.0 is a 4.0 is a 4.0. Some just flow a little better with the HO head.

Back