• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel pressure regulator

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
I believe I'm having a fuel startvation problem, I've installed a new pump (napa) I get a maximum of 31psi at the rail, how does one properly diagnose a fuewl pressure regulator? just unplug it and try? The cheapest I can find is $90 canadian. It could also be the pump, I accidently hooked it up backwards and ran it for about a minute. I am tearing through the fuel like mad and to go up even a slight hill its foot to the floor, I have replaced all tune-up parts, intake air temp sensor ,oxygen sensor, throttle position sensor,egr,injectors,map sensor, coolant temp and knock sensor.89 4.0 auto,31's

oh yeah: it buck and jerks like it's running out of gas (feels the same as when I did run out of gas)

Last edited:
from my haynes manual:
(34)...fuel pressure should be about 8 to 10 psi higher with the vacuum line attached to the regulator than with the vacuum line disconnected. Fuel system pressure should be 31PSI with the vacuum line attached to the regulator and 39PSI with the line detached.
(35)On earlier models, attach a 0-60PSI fuel pressure gauge to the test port pressure fitting on the fuel rail.
(36)Detach the vacuum tube from the fuel pressure regulator
(37)start the engine
(38)note the gauge reading. With the vacuum line detached, fuel pressure should be about 39PSI
(39)attach the vacuum line to the pressure regulator. Note the gauge reading. Fuel pressure should be about 31PSI
(40)If the indicated fuel pressure is not about 8-10PSI higher with the vacuum line removed from the regulator, inspect the pressure regulator vacuum line for leaks, kinks and blockage.
(41)If the fuel pressure is below the specefied level, momentarily pinch off the hose section of the return line.
WARNING: dont allow the fuel pressure to exceed 60PSI

a)if the fuel pressure remains below specefications, inspect the fuel supply line, fuel filter and fuel rain inlet for blockages.
b)if the fuel pressure rises, replace the regulator
c)if the fuel pressure is above specefication, inspect the fuel return line for kinks and blockage.

Hope that helps.

It might also be the CPS if it's having some bucking and jerking problems.

Back