• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 block in 97 XJ

Char-Broil

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I appologize, I know this question has been asked before, but I cannot find the thread I'm looking for, and I believe that was about a 89 block. Anyways, I need to know if a block, head, pan (everything but accessories and intake) will work as a replacement for the 97 block. Anything to watch out for or any questions you have for me please let me know. Obviously the 97 would be high output and the 87 is not. Would the heads have to be swapped? will things bolt right up? I have a hunch that the 87 block is missing some of the bosses for some of the accessories or something. Thanks!

This is just off the top of my head, the 87 is a renix block. If you were to up all the stuff off the 97 block onto it, it PROBABLY should work. I think other than the renix having a block that is heavier and higher in nickel content, it has a boss for the renix knock sensor drilled out on the block.

Edit: I think you would have to swap alot of the H.O stuff over if you want to use it in a 97. IIRC the 97's Head flows better and I don't think that the 97 has the 0331 that cracks. I think the 97 has a better CAM too.

Last edited:
thanks. does the 97 have a knock sensor? the AW-4 was still used in 97 as well, correct?

no knock sensor in the 97 but yes the AW4 is in there, atleast its in mine.

Yes, it will work, but you need to swap all accessories off the 97 including the distributor and flex plate. The manifolds will not mate exactly with the non-HO head, but with a little modification, it will work. There will be a temperature sensor in the rear of the head that you will not use.

I ran a non-HO or Renix head on my 96 block before I swapped in the 99 engine. It ran fine. If the 97 head is good, put it on the 89 block. Make sure to reuse the 89 lifters, push rods and rockers in the exact same location if you swap heads. Mixing parts will lead to a failure for sure.

Last edited:
muddygp said:
how about using the 87 manifold? is that an option?

I don't believe you could use the Renix manifold on a 97, unless you wanted to swap computers out... The fuel rail, and injectors are different, and the thottle body as well.. In theory, with some modifications, it could work.

Back