• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ball Joint problems

attworth

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished putting my 2" lift on last night and I'm having problems getting the crown nuts back onto the ball joints. The joints are spinning around and not allowing the nuts to turn onto them. Also, it's really hard to get them started, like the bolts are stripped really bad - however they look fine. I've tried cleaning them, I tried burning all the crap off of them with a torch and allowing to cool, nothing's working.

I was going to take both bars off and get the ball joints replaced, but where the longer one has a joint up near the radiator, it won't budge. I don't have a seperator (fork) anymore, so I'm not sure what to do. I'd like to not replace the joints just yet, but I'm running out of options.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tony

Disconnected it so the front end would drop. Not sure if it was necessary but it seemed to give more room to work with. Never done a lift before and didn't have instructions.

Try using a hammer (on the body the tie rod end goes into) . Usually to get the outer tie rods out of the spindle I just hammer a little on the spindle near the tre and it pops out. If you put a little upward force on the end of the tie rod it will prevent it from turning so you can tighten up the nut.

bcmaxx said:
Try using a hammer (on the body the tie rod end goes into) . Usually to get the outer tie rods out of the spindle I just hammer a little on the spindle near the tre and it pops out. If you put a little upward force on the end of the tie rod it will prevent it from turning so you can tighten up the nut.

So, put pressure upward where the grease nipple is? How would you suggest this? With my hand, or using a tool?

Sorry for my ignorance. I really dislike steering components. This is my first venture into messing with them - period.

ok its a tapered hole so its gona not fit well unless you can get it in following the right path so waht i sugest is using a hammer knock it around a bitwhile pushing it in to see if you can get a little more thread to push through, it will take some persistance to get it done but it can be done. next time use a little light oil on both parts and make sure the mating surfaces are clean and most of the time it will go in much easyer. consider moving the steering wheel a little as well to help alighn things

Use a bottle jack with a block of wood not on the tie rod end but on the tie rod itself, If you use too much pressure you will bend something so be careful. Doensn't take much force to get them to stop turning. If you think the castle nuts are damaged just get a couple new ones.

I'll have to try that. I'm pretty sure the nuts are fine. I considering getting new ones, but they turned fine onto the test bolts at the store. I think they just need a good cleaning. Thanks for all the quick responses.

When you touch/mess with the one 'ball-joint' on the end of the drag-link(the fixed one) does it have alot of play? Mine was like that so I just replaced it(along with the drag-link)

BTW-Outside of the US tie rod ends are reffered to as ball-joints.

Strange didn't know that Zoro , In Canada and Japan they are referred to as Tie rod ends (steering), What do you call the Ball Joints down there(connect the knuckle to the axle housing)?

Thanks Zoro, I knew that I was thinking of the right part, just gotta remember the right term. And yes, there is a lot of play. They definately need replacing, along with a lot of bushings and such. Right now I just want to get it all bolted back together so I can move it though.

Tony

attworth-Try to hold the part that spins with some kind of needle nosed vise-grip or once you get the nut started push down on the rod.

bcmaxx-Every foreign 'car person' I know calls tie-rod ends ball-joints but then again they're from South America and Europe so maybe it's a regional thing? Yes I know S America & Europe aren't connected :rolleyes:

Back