• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tell me the bad about 1985 XJ Axles

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Local guy on craigslist has an 85 XJ for sale for $500. Its a 4cyl, 5spd 4x4. Since its a 4cyl it should have 4.10 gears.

I was thinking I could buy this for the axles, swap with mine and off load it to pick a part and still come out way ahead than paying for a gear swap.

So, other than the fact that I'd end up with a rear D35, what disadvantages are there to the 85 axles? Would I be taking a step down from whats in my 94? I'm more concerned about problems with the front axle than anything.

Thanks.

Slo-Sho said:
3.31 and 3.73 were the only factory gears available in 84/85. The 5 speed got the 3.73's while the 4 speed got the former. The 3 speed auto could've gotten either.

Thank You! You just prevented me from blowing money on something useless.
The stickies said all 4cyl/5spd are 4.10, this is why I wanted to verify.

manuelxj said:
not sure if you have checked but my 94 4cly xj came with an chrysler 8.25 just a thought...

I'd love to but 4cyl 4x4's are hard to come by around here...

IslanderOffRoad said:
Local guy on craigslist has an 85 XJ for sale for $500. Its a 4cyl, 5spd 4x4. Since its a 4cyl it should have 4.10 gears.

I was thinking I could buy this for the axles, swap with mine and off load it to pick a part and still come out way ahead than paying for a gear swap.

So, other than the fact that I'd end up with a rear D35, what disadvantages are there to the 85 axles? Would I be taking a step down from whats in my 94? I'm more concerned about problems with the front axle than anything.

Thanks.

I just realized that I've started (sorta) fights with you on OT a few times :shocked:

IslanderOffRoad said:
Thank You! You just prevented me from blowing money on something useless.
The stickies said all 4cyl/5spd are 4.10, this is why I wanted to verify.

It will have 4.10's. The stickies are right. You would end up with a disconnect front axle which has its pros and cons. Read the differences in the FAQ section.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101343

It is usually a cheap way to get the gears. Watch out for bad brakes, ball joints, hubs, etc. It could turn into a lot of work. I did it on an '88 I had so I already had a disco front end.

I personally had an 85 that came with 4.10's from the factory and have seen them with 4.56's, so the word is to double check them before you make any asumptions.

dadilius said:
I just realized that I've started (sorta) fights with you on OT a few times :shocked:

Rule #1...

Re: find an 87-89

nathanf said:
they have a d44 in rear, usually geared 4.10, and that stock axle is solid up to 36's

Only the ones with tow packages had the D44, and I challange you to find me one with factory 4.10 gears.

Back