• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep shutting off while driving

xrayjeeper83

NAXJA Forum User
On my way to work today my jeep shut off twice. First time was just driving down the road, I noticed it was starting to rev really weird. The revs would just jump up higher then normal then drop down a good bit then it just shut off. The second time was sitting at a light waiting for it to turn, the jeep rev'ed funny then shut off. It did the reving weird about 4 times only shutting off 2 times. Could the NSS cause this? If not what could it be?

Andrew

I had this happen when I first got my 90 about 5 years ago. Turned out my battery cables were shorting out. Changed them and no more problems. Hope your problem is that simple.

Well the cables were good and tight, talked to my dad about it and he thinks it might be the fuel pump. Anyone agree with this and how can I test it?

Andrew

Check your oil too... had that happen to me and I didn't know what was wrong...until I decided to check the oil and it was pretty much gone :banghead:

xrayjeeper83 said:
Well the cables were good and tight, talked to my dad about it and he thinks it might be the fuel pump. Anyone agree with this and how can I test it?

Andrew

you would need to by a fuel pressure gauge

i wouldn't just go out and buy a pump. it is probably a sensor. i would get a Chilton or a Haynes manual and a multi meter and test the o2 sensor and the tps sensor.

My 87 w/aw4 did somewhat the same thing on the way home from work tonite. Sitting at a light, foot on the brakes, it suddenly lurched and died.. My stereo was to loud to hear the engine, i just felt the lurch and looked down. threw it in park and started it right back up. I did however get it to stumble midway through the acceleration, which was the symptom of my previous TPS sensor dying. Has a neihoff sensor, which i think was a huge mistake from the beginning, And was adjusted by what Shop Key sugested. Will try the Percentage method and see what happens..

Well I really need to check it out today, on the way home last night it shut off twice going through a drive through and then again at a light and tried is hardest to do it the whole way home. I found out that if I keep giving it gas it will stay alive, but still rev really really bad.

Andrew

Well tested the gas pressure and got 40 PSI with key in on pos. and got 33 PSI once engine was running. How do I test the TPS and O2 sensers?

Andrew

Also it got my battery fully charged today and it didnt do it on the way into work, well see what it does on the way home. But if it doesnt mess up on the way home the guy at autozone said it might be the alt. going bad and unable to keep everything charged right. Though my volt gauge looks good 14 volts no matter how much stuff I turn on

Andrew

My 90' does something similar. Mine usually happens when i have the AC or heater on. People have told me its most likly the crank-shaft position sensor. I havent had time to fix it and make sure. But mine did the reving thing for awhile now it just dies. It happend alot for awhile but now it hardly ever happens and i hae done nothing so if you find out what is wrong let us know.

Back