• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using Air Soft BB's for balancing

splitz

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm about to pick up my Harbor Frieght and Tool Tire Changer and have read some on using Air Soft Pellets for tire balancing, found .12 gram and .20 gram air pellets and have read the weight chart and now I want to make sure I'm going to be doing this right.

According to the chart for a 31x10.5 tire you need 6 ounces

1 ounces = 28.3495231 gram
1 pellet = .12 gram or 1 pellet = .2 grams

6 ounces = 1418 pellets or 851 pellets per tire

Is this right? Is one type of pellet better than another?

jwtrapper said:
I wouldn't worry about counting them out. I just went to wallmart and picked up a cheap food scale to weigh them out. I have now done a set of 32's and my 35's and both worked out great.

correct. and if in error or unsure of the amount put in more! it cant hurt LOL;)

Don't waste your time counting, just drop a jar of 1000 pellets into each tire. If your a couple ounces over, it won't hurt you.

Any problems when trying to deflate the tires? I would think the BB's would try to block the valve when trying to air down :dunno:

Rob $.02

Your tire stem isn't on the tread of your tires, at the bottom. :)

Gravity keeps them out of the stem.

FELIX said:
Any problems when trying to deflate the tires? I would think the BB's would try to block the valve when trying to air down :dunno:

Rob $.02

Has not been an issue for the many years Ive been running them......

Well, I wasn't about to count out 1400 pellets, I just wanted to make sure I was using the right amount. Does anyone know if the .12 are better/worse than using the .20 gram?

cal said:
Your tire stem isn't on the tread of your tires, at the bottom. :)

Gravity keeps them out of the stem.

Yeah, but pressure can overcome gravity ;) But thanks. Glad it's not a problem.

Rob

Not a problem airing down. Just weigh them, dont bother counting. This has been beat resurrected and beat to death again.

FELIX said:
Yeah, but pressure can overcome gravity ;) But thanks. Glad it's not a problem.

Rob

yep it does and some engineer told me that the tire would need to hold about 500 psi in order to create enough force to lift an airsoft pellet off the bottom of the tire.

Back