• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you tell if used shocks are good

splitz

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a set of used Trailmaster SSv's, but don't know if they are any good or not. I can compress them with a little force, and it takes them a few seconds to expand back to full lenth. Are these still good? How should shocks perform?

From what little I know shocks are supposed to control "return to normal" or outward movement, springs are supposed to handle comprssion or inward movement. So if these take a while to return to normal that's a good thing. If you can easily compress AND pull out tha'ts not a good thing.

Slap 'em on there and see how they do.

How a shock behaves depends on its valveing, diiffereent shocks perform differently. Shocks are only meant to dampen the springs oscillations by providing a resistance to the up and down movement of the suspension. The resistance is not the same on all brands/models.

You should call trailmaster and ask them if they think they are still good.
http://www.trailmastersuspension.com/

Hmmm, so they might be good, or they might be bad! Guess I'll have to go with Paradise's advice!

I don't know about the shocks in question, but many shocks are designed to resist rebound more firmly than compression (jounce). This makes for a less jittery ride while still maintaining control. Make sure when you test it that you first run it up and down a couple of times to get the bubbles out. Then compress it steadily. It should not change resistance as you compress. If it starts easy and gets firmer, or otherwise varies, it's not good. If it's a gas filled shock, observe how it expands. It should expand slowly, and at a constant speed, and come out all the way. If it suddenly speeds up like a screen door closer, it's bad. If it's not gas filled, you will need to pull it, but the same rule applies. It should resist evenly.

Matthew Currie said:
I don't know about the shocks in question, but many shocks are designed to resist rebound more firmly than compression (jounce). This makes for a less jittery ride while still maintaining control. Make sure when you test it that you first run it up and down a couple of times to get the bubbles out. Then compress it steadily. It should not change resistance as you compress. If it starts easy and gets firmer, or otherwise varies, it's not good. If it's a gas filled shock, observe how it expands. It should expand slowly, and at a constant speed, and come out all the way. If it suddenly speeds up like a screen door closer, it's bad. If it's not gas filled, you will need to pull it, but the same rule applies. It should resist evenly.

Ok for older and non variable valved shocks your righ on for variable valved shocks like most now days you can expect to see a difernce in resistance in compressing and also in some cases in rebounding. The shocks on my truck get firmer as you compress and do the same thing os you let them expand.

from some one who has delt for many years with suspensions of cars and trucks of all types here is my best advice:
if the shock looks used but like it isnt leaking than your probably ok if its been cleaned up be suspicious.
When in doubt buy new

Back