• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Paint Types

XJoshua

NAXJA Forum User
Would it be possible to make a paint type FAQ for this forum. If this is not possible Id like to see some pictures and comments on the following questions.

My paint has faded on highyl sun expossed areas. More so the hood, and the faded color I have become to like. My question is what paint will give me a smooth matte colored surface? I was thinking tractor paint as once suggested by my paint retailer. Does anyone have pictures off all possible paints that can be used to get a matte to glossy finish? Also how well will decal stickers apply to a coat of matte paint?

Thanks,
Joshua

you can get a matte finish out of anykind of automotive paint . they just use a flattening agent in the paint to make it dull down when its dried .. even clear will dull down with flattening agent in it ...talk to your guy at the paint store , he should be able to hook you up .. are you going to do a single stage paint or a base-clear system ?

I did a Ford 4x4 using Centauri acrylic enamel with flattener. It was satin black. I did ghost flames on the sides in shades of grey to light grey and with progressive changes in flatness. It looked real neat. From a distance you couln't see the flames, as you got closer you noticed them. The scheme played tricks on your eyes.

Been awhile since I read the automotive detailing book. Im assumming single stage is like Polyerathane which is what Id like to use on everything. Then the fenders and rockers and bottom door panels try and do a rubicon textured black paint. Nothing out of the ordinary. Just a matte finish is what Im after.

You could paint it with the normal two stage paint job but you put a satin clear coat on it gives it the old school flat look in stead of the normal shinny stuff. if that is what you are after

Back