• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DANA 44 REAR CHOICES

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to put a Dana 44 in the rear of my XJ, and am wondering if anybody has the width of different ones. Obviously an XJ one would be the easiest, but I've been looking and haven't been able to get one. I've found some under Rodeos, which I believe are slightly narrower, but have discs, and I've found several under Wagoneers. What is the width of those under Wagoneers?

My plan is to get the housing cheap, then shorten it to my length if necessary. I plan to put in a Super 44 kit, so shaft length & bolt-pattern don't matter since I'll be getting new ones anyways. And I don't care if I have to weld on new spring perches & shock mounts, just want one that's wide enough, has thick enough tubes, etc. Don't want to have to get new wheels or wheel spacers for axles that are too narrow.

TIA.

hey,

i have a super44 in my dana44 and it is from an XJ. the grand waggy dana 44s are slightly wider (maybe 61-63").

what are you running for front axle? the bolt pattern on the isuzu and the grand waggy are 6 lug. the XJ one is obviously 5X4.5.

-Tim

I've still got the D30 front with the 760x joints, but I'll keep it for a while because I already have a full Detroit in it. When I get my Super 44 shafts, I plan to have them drilled at 5x4.5 and at 5x5.5, so if I ever change out the front, I would only have to change the studs on the rear shafts (along with the rims of course). Sounds like a waggy rear would be a good choice for what I'm doing. What all is involved in cutting down a rear axle? Cutting the tube off and welding the parts back on the end? TIA.

Last edited:
Back