• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where to get factory service manuals?

tech kid

NAXJA Forum User
dont link me one, cause i just read the rules on that

lookin for the factory service manual for my 87 cherokee. i looked on ebay, amazon.com, and have really run outta ideas on where to find one. i sorta searched on here, but didnt want to look through all the threads that came up just looked through some of them.

id appreciate some help

guess i should also add that im really looking for a fully labeled full wiring diagram, so i can start gutting the dash and stripping out unnecessary wiring and rewiring the not so good wiring that is present in some places

thanks for any help, PM me if need be to avoid gettin in trouble

Check out my RENIXPower group (groups.yahoo.com/group/RENIXPower) - I believe I have scans of the wiring diagrams up there.

The FSM for a 1987 is going to be difficult to find - it's actually printed by AMC, and we all know what happened to AMC 20 years ago... However, they pop up on ebay from time to time, and I believe there's an outfit called "Books for Cars" at www.books4cars.com (I think...) that may be of help to you.

Note that you can use a FSM for a 1988 as well (printed by ChryCo - may be a bit easier to find,) but not for 1989-1990 - ChryCo started production mid-year 1988, and revised a few things in 1989. I've got all four manuals, so I know there's a break there... Wiring is the same - wire colours are different, and you're getting into a project where you don't want to deal with detective work on top of things...

thanks for that info, anyone else got sources for FSM? cant find these things anywhere, the booksforcars site lists a service man, but i dunno if its the factory one, and if so it runs 60 bucks, is that the normal price for these things????

tech kid said:
thanks for that info, anyone else got sources for FSM? cant find these things anywhere, the booksforcars site lists a service man, but i dunno if its the factory one, and if so it runs 60 bucks, is that the normal price for these things????

If it's $60, I can fair guarantee you it's not a Chilton's or a Haynes. Considering it would be a reprint, that would cut the cost some... Typically, I see $80-120 for FSMs for most vehicles (I've got to get one for a 2005 Verona we just bought, which goes for $150. Ugh. Why don't cars come with the option of getting one from the off?)

thanks again 5-90, got the wiring diagrams, looks like im gonna have TONS of fun going through all my wiring!!! oh well, thats the kinda project im in for with this cherokee

Do you have what you need or are you still looking for the fsm? I have an electronic copy for '88. Is there any way I can get it to you without breaking any forum rules?

i bought a few "fsm's" several years ago from my local Jeep dealer.(1987 cherokee) turns out some of the directions for a repair are pretty pathetic, such as the directions to remove exhaust header, i'll paraphrase a little hear, " remove bolts that attach intake and and exhaust to head and remove exhaust" well DUH!!! hell i already knew that. on the other hand, some info is good. mostly numbers like torque specs, measurements, factory service bulletins, voltages for sensors, stuff like that. the one book i have is huge (thick) and sometimes not all that helpful. the other two are engine overhaul, and fuel system specific. but all leave out some key steps sometimes. on other words, no real tricks of the trade sort a speak, if that makes any sense. be careful what you buy, try and look at it first, if possible.

I've found a PDF version of the FSM (Or so I think) and I haven't been impressed with it. I've got one for my 94 Infiniti Q45 and it's really detailed on how to perform tasks and all the little tips and tricks are included. I was really disappointed with the 88 one I have the PDF of. Maybe the hard copy book is better.

Back