• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to borrow a few tools

CanMan

NAXJA Forum User
Im building steering and a TB for the Jeep, and need to borrow few things.

If anyone has a 13/16" drill bit, a 7/8" x 14tpi RH tap, and/or a 3/4" x 16tpi LH tap, that I could borrow, that would be great!

I probably won't need these for a few weeks, but want to see if anyone had any of the 3 tools to borrow first, before I would have to include them into the budget.

PM me if you'd like or post up. Thanks!

Unless someone knows where to get these cheap. :dunno:

Last edited:
CanMan said:
Im building steering and a TB for the Jeep, and need to borrow few things.

Eli,
I might have the drill bit you need. It is also possible that I could have the right hand tap you need (but unlikely). I will try to check tonight before I go to bed.

I assume that you have already considered doing this with Heims so that you don't need these tools? When I went through this process a while ago I ended up doing it with Heims and would still do it this way again. I used weld in bungs so no tapping at all.

Just a thought to consider if you haven't already.

I would be more than happy to discuss more if you are interested. I will post back up if I find any of those tools. If I don't post, I don't have them.

Good Luck,
Michael
PS. I have your turkey tray, I will bring it with me to give you next run if you are still going next weekend?

Unfortunatly I dont have those specific tools (I'll verify tommorow). But I would love to know how you are building youre Track bar as I will need one when my mj receives its new suspension :)

Tom

Steering is going to be heims. I bought 1.25" OD, .250 wall, .75" ID DOM for the steering. Heims are already purchased, and have a 3/4" shank. The thing is, I goofed when buying the tubing. Never really thought about the ID, for direct tapping it. So, now I have to buy new tube. It needs to be at least .6875 ID, to have enough thread depth for the 3/4" heim.

But, I can salvage part of the DOM already bought. I can drill it out to .8125 ID, for a 7/8" x 14tpi flex joint for the frame end with a custom mount. Going to use a bushing for the axle end, along with relocation for OTK steering.

New DOM is going to be 1.25 OD, .3125 wall, .6250 ID tube. This way, I can drill it out to .6875, so the 3/4" heims can be tapped, and used. It will be OTK on a D30.

Thanks Hilltop(sorry, forgot your name, Scott?) for those links to Ebay. Never really crossed my mind to look there. Ill do some shopping around tomorrow, and report back on what I find.

2xtreme said:
PS. I have your turkey tray, I will bring it with me to give you next run if you are still going next weekend?

Unforturnatly, I am still not sure if Im going to be able to make it. Its going to be my B Day, and have had several offers from other friends to take me out. :cheers:

Ill know for sure by Wednesday.

I don't have any of the tools you need. I checked last night.
Have you considered useing weld in bungs that are threaded for the heims? Seems easier than tapping them if you don't already have the tap's.

Do you need the tray soon? Do you want me to send it to ya or should we just plan on meeting up in the next few weeks?

Michael

I used the weld in inserts myself. They worked really well. You may be able to use the tube your already have with them too. I think I got mine for a few bucks a piece at Sky's offroad. Shipping added a couple bucks. Maybe somebody in the Seattle area knows where to get them locally?

I picked up the drill bit and 7/8" tap today. Tool Town in Federal Way(?). Cheap enough. Still looking for the 3/4" LH tap though. Missed that Ebay auction.

I did consider weld in bungs, but don't want to waste the $60 peice of steel I already have, so enlarging the hole was the next best alternative. Ill see if Im right tomorrow. :D

Back