• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 setup bearings.

I do. but I,m in Va.Just buy a new set and hone them out.IIRC the bearings were only $25 each.
Wayne

dumb question, but when making a setup bearing, how cruical is it to have all bearings of the same brand??? i need to fix the rear axle in my wifes jeep, and i usually use timken bearings. which is also what comes in the master install kit. but all the local parts stores have my bearings, just not in timken brand. so does that matter, or should i wait the 3 days for the timken bearings to arrive so i have matching brand setup and install bearings???

BRIANHO13 said:
I would think they would all be made to the same tollerances.

x2

Any bearing with the same model number will (should) be identical - that number determines what the bearing is, not who makes it.

i've always used the old shim thickness as a starting point, but in my experience it's usually been close when using the same carrier. whenever i do a carrier change (specially if i'm also changing brands), it seems that they are way different. well i'll go grab those offbrand bearings tonight then and bore them out for setup bearings and use the timkens for the install.

Ive got a set of D44 set up bearings but Im 500 miles away.
D44s are pretty prevalent, check with some local shops or local clubs for used bearings.

Back