• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeeling underhood.

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
Changed out the idler pulley on my sister's 94 but I still have the squeel. Thinking of the other possibles. AC clutch, water pump, PS pump. If it were the water pump it'd be leaking i'd think. Sounds like it's on the right side tho. Fan clutch?? I've had the fan off but can't remember what's underneath the hub. Any ideas my brothers??

Check to see that the harmonic balancer is not starting to separate.

The first thing I'd try to do is to determine whether or not the squeal is caused by the belt or by something the belt is driving. Is the belt tight and running true? An easy way to check for belt squeals is to get some brake fluid, and either brush or spray it on the belt while it's turning. It won't harm the belt and will wear right off, but if it changes the sound, you need to look either for slippage or something that is causing bad belt tracking.

The idler that holds the fan is one possibility, though it rarely goes bad. The water pump may or may not leak when it goes bad, but it will usually rattle and develop play which you can feel. However if it is wobbling, it can also cause the belt to squeak. Just tonight I replaced the PS pump on my 99, which was squeaking. This was really easy to detect with the belt off, since the PS pump should have no roughness or noise at all. I thought it might be the harmonic balancer at first, so I got underneath and squirted WD-40 between it and the timing cover, figuring it might change the sound. There was no change, so I eliminated that as a likely squeak. I also replaced a slightly wobbly fan bearing, bracket and all, since I was doing the job anyway and the junkyard had one for $40. Alternator bearings can also start squeaking, and may do so long before the alternator actually starts to wobble or otherwise misbehave.

Though it's a drag, your best bet is probably to take off the belt again and wiggle and spin individual components to try to find one with play or roughness.

Forgot about the alternator. She said the wipers were running slow as well. Thought she may have a corroded ground issue on that one but I forgot about the alternator on that side as well. I'll eliminate the belt with some brake fluid as suggested and go from there. Hardest part of the whole damn process is pulling out the electric fan and the fan shroud. On hers, it's too tight to get the shroud out without loosening the top radiator support to let the rad move forward enough. Damn engineers, they never think about maintenance!!

i have a squeal on my 99', i checked the belt 1st by removing it, the sqeual was still there. The noise seems to be coming from the distibuter, seems i can feel it through the cap.

Back